two quads up, three over

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
From TV series<Future man>,
A woman is giving directions to another woman.
You do know there's an infirmary two quads up, three over?
The habitation units look like this.
So I want to know what it means exactly? I feel like up and over mean the same thing, I'm so confused.
Thank you.
搜狗截图20190111234958.jpg

Last edited:
  • AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    The picture appears to show a solar generating facility, not a living area.

Quad can refer to a courtyard, often in an academic setting like a school or college.

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    To me it looks like a quad is a group of structures separated from other groups by wider roads (passages).
    Another word for quad could be sector.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    To me it looks like a quad is a group of structures separated from other groups by wider roads (passages).
    Another word for quad could be sector.
    :thumbsup:
    It's science fiction and the layout of the units would likely have their own new word for such groupings of "houses". It's not a word that we would use this way in everyday life :)

pops91710

English, AE
    Perhaps it means two quadrants up and three quadrants over. Since it is laid out in a circle, my guess is quad is short for quadrant.
    Quadrant:
    quad·rant
    /ˈkwädrənt/
    noun
    1. 1.
      TECHNICAL
      each of four quarters of a circle.

suzi br

English / England
    I’d think the “up and over” thing is explained this way:
    Walk two blocks straight ahead the turn left (or right - I’d imagine a hand gesture there) and walk three blocks “over” in that direction.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "Up" and "over" are standard street directions in the U.S., where many cities have grids of streets that run perpendicular to each other.

"Up" means go up (i.e. along) the street you are currently standing on (away from your current point). After the specified number of blocks (the distance between two intersections is a block) go over (i.e. make a 90 degree turn onto the perpendicular street) and go the number of blocks specified on that street. "Over" doesn't mean "above", it means across, from one side to the other. (Think "from here over to there". From the point where you turned, over to the final point.)

This is the same idea. But instead of measuring in blocks, they are measuring in quads. Even if it's circular, it doesn't matter. You can still go along one street (like the spoke of a wheel) and make a 90 degree turn onto the other street (shaped like an arc) and count the quads (groups of buildings) you pass.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "Up" and "over" are standard street directions in the U.S., where many cities have grids of streets that run perpendicular to each other.

"Up" means go up (i.e. along) the street you are currently standing on (away from your current point). After the specified number of blocks (the distance between two intersections is a block) go over (i.e. make a 90 degree turn onto the perpendicular street) and go the number of blocks specified on that street. "Over" doesn't mean "above", it means across, from one side to the other. (Think "from here over to there". From the point where you turned, over to the final point.)

This is the same idea. But instead of measuring in blocks, they are measuring in quads. Even if it's circular, it doesn't matter. You can still go along one street (like the spoke of a wheel) and make a 90 degree turn onto the other street (shaped like an arc) and count the quads (groups of buildings) you pass.
    I agree that's the general idea here. However, they are playing fast and loose with the term quadrant (meaning ¼ of a circle) - the picture shows five spokes in less than half a circle:) So it's just the name they came up with in the "sci-fi show English" that resembles a block in "reality English":)

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    We don't really know it stands for quadrant. In college architecture, quad stands for quadrangle. Also, an alternate meaning of quadrant is one of the four areas formed by the crossing of an x and y axis. Those areas have straight sides and form a square or rectangle, depending on how much of them you look at.

< Previous | Next >