Two questions to a sentence in my greek textbok

larshgf

Danish
Hi,

The other day this sentence in my greek textbook gave occasion to two questions for you brave linguistic helpers here:

Χθες το βράδυ στην τηλεόραση είχε μια ωραία σουηδική ταινία του Μπέργκμαν που η Άννα ήθελε να τη δει οπωσδήποτε.

(1) Why the use of ήθελε?
- she wanted to see the film - how can that be a continous action?

(2) The use of τη?
- could the sentence do witout τη?
- what is the function of τη?

BR Lars

• Perseas

Hi,

1) The form "ήθελα" is the most common for the past, irrespective of whether the action is continuous or not. To draw an analogy with English, I think that the past form "wanted" is much more common than "was wanting". Also, in "she wanted to see the film", I can feel a duration, although "wanted" is not past continuous.

2) Yes, the sentence could work without "τη", because "που" can be analysed in "την οποία". "τη" doesn't add anything to the meaning, it's just an idiomatic way of using the language in Greek!

Acestor

Greek
    Re the second point, it's what Babiniotis calls Αντωνυμική επανάληψη (Pronoun repetition). An excellent treatment of this phenomenon can be found in the Klairis & Babiniotis Grammar of the Modern Greek Language (2005). I'm attaching an OCR of the relevant pages.

Attachments

larshgf

Danish
    Thank you Perseas!
    Can the τη also be viewed as an extra mean to secure that the reader understand what she absolutely wanted to see? (in spite of that που is allready "doing the job")

And also thanks to you Acestor. Maybe it is answering my (above) question. I will have a look at your attachment.

Perseas

Thank you Perseas!
    Can the τη also be viewed as an extra mean to secure that the reader understand what she absolutely wanted to see? (in spite of that που is allready "doing the job")
    You can use it for emphasis, but the meaning is already clear because of "που" (= την οποία").
    In any case, in your example its use is optional. In other examples, as shown in Acestor's attachment, the repetitive use with the weak form of the personal pronoun is obligatory.
    You are welcome!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >