Two Slindon girls done good.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "Two Slindon girls done good." means in the following sentences:

To Izzy Coburn: I love that we get to work together! Two Slindon girls done good. Thank you for being so utterly brilliant.

- Lucy Foley, The Guest List, Acknowledgements

This is a thriller novel published in 2020 in the United Kingdom. This is the acknowledgements by the author.

In this part, this is again my small question, but I wonder what the underlined sentence means.
Would that mean that two girls from the region named Slindon became successful...? (This is just my wild guess. :D)
I wonder what "done good" means here in particular.

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Slindon is an area of West Sussex. (This can't refer to Slindon College which is boys only.) So these are two girls who came from Slindon.

"Done good" is a common slang version of "did well".

So your "wild guess" is perfectly correct: two girls from the region named Slindon became successful.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It could be a sentence, but I feel it more as a description, reduced from a relative clause: (we are) two Slindon girls (who) done good. There may be some dialects where people actually say 'done good' for 'did well', but many of us would be consciously quoting slang (or this different dialect). The cliché form of it is probably 'the boy done good', as praise from a football manager.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I agree with entangeldbank: it adds more information about "we".
    There may be some dialects where people actually say 'done good' for 'did well',
    The "done" part is fine, if it is from "who have done".

"Slindon" could refer to a town or a school (or conceivably something else, although nothing is obvious). The real Slindon in Sussex is a small village with a population of 600 or so, so I doubt that this is what it is being referred to, and I imagine it is somewhere entirely fictional.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Tea Addict says this is in the author's Acknowledgements section for the book. So it better not be fictional. :)

Added:
    I found this.

Lucy was a pupil at Westbourne House near Chichester before going on to Portsmouth High. She grew up in Slindon where her parents still live.

(It doesn't mean a whole lot to me.)

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Common enough expression in my dialect of English:

"Local boy/girl done good"

which can also be used as a noun, usually with the idea that s/he has gone away from the locality (e.g. to university and has graduated or has obtained an important job.)

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Keith Bradford, entangledbank, Uncle Jack, kentix, and Welsh_Sion,

Thank you so much for the clear explanations.
    Slindon is an area of West Sussex. (This can't refer to Slindon College which is boys only.) So these are two girls who came from Slindon.
    Wow. How did you know that I was secretly wondering whether "Slindon" would refer to an area or a college? Thank you so much for clarifying that. So Slindon College was for boys only! I learned a new thing thanks to you.

Added:
    I found this.

Lucy was a pupil at Westbourne House near Chichester before going on to Portsmouth High. She grew up in Slindon where her parents still live.
    And this has resolved any (if there was any) remaining doubt! Thank you so much for letting me know. So she grew up in Slindon. :D

So "done good" would be a dialect/slang form of "having done well," which makes the sentence to mean "We are two girls from the region named Slindon who did well, who became successful after having gone away from locality, probably with the implication of having achieved from a disadvantageous start (I learned this "disadvantageous" part in the boy done good ).

I think I grasped its meaning all thanks to you! I truly appreciate your help. :)

kentix

English - U.S.
    It wasn't necessarily disadvantageous except in the sense that it was very small. They couldn't have reached this level of success by staying in Slindon and getting jobs there.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear kentix,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    Then it would imply the locality, the smallness of the region Slindon.
    I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Graciela J,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    So Izzy and Lucy were both from the region named Slindon!
    I sincerely appreciate your help. :)