type vs kind

Melynda

Spanish
Hola a todos,

¿Qué diferencia existe entre kind y type? Los dos se puden traducir como tipo pero... ¿cuando debe usarse cada uno de ello?

He consultado el diccionario pero no encuentro respuesta a mi duda.

Gracias, Mely

• Jhorer Brishti

United States/Bangladesh English/Bengali
    Bueno, yo diría que ambas palabras son casi sinónimos. "Kind" también se usa al hablar de las diferentes especies de los organismos. "Kind of" como en la frase "He acts kind of like you" es lo único que se puede utilizar en este tipo de habla y decir "He acts type of like you" sería un error malísimo. La frase que he usado como un ejemplo se traduciría como "Se comporta algo como tú" en español. En todos los otros casos, me parece que son sinónimos..

pacadansc

English
    Do you have a context in mind?

"kind" and "type" can be synonyms. They are sometimes interchangeable, but not always.

some examples:
    What kind of nuts do you like? I like walnuts.
    She's not that kind/type of person. She is not nasty. She's very nice.
    What kind/sort of music do you like? I like spanish guitar music.

But if you say: "She's not my type." (I'm attracted to a different kind of girl.), it's quite different from saying "She's not your kind." "She's a fundamentally different sort of person.)

If you have some more specif questions, please give some examples.
    Hope this helps a little.

Melynda

Spanish
    Gracias por vuestras aclaraciones.

El contexto es el siguiente.

"Los tipos de modelos dependen directamente del tipo de aplicación que modelamos"

¿Kind, sort, type? ¿cual es la mejor opción en este caso?

pacadansc

English
    Perdoneme, todavía no hablo bien español, pero en este contexto diría "types" and "type".

Excuse me, I don’t speak Spanish very well yet, but in this context I would use "types". and "type".

pcplus

Spanish
    Bueno, yo diría que ambas palabras son casi sinónimos. "Kind" también se usa al hablar de las diferentes especies de los organismos. "Kind of" como en la frase "He acts kind of like you" es lo único que se puede utilizar en este tipo de habla y decir "He acts type of like you" sería un error malísimo. La frase que he usado como un ejemplo se traduciría como "Se comporta algo como tú" en español. En todos los otros casos, me parece que son sinónimos..
    es que ahí "Kind of" o "kinda", dicho coloquialmente, significa "algo" o "más o menos", "type" siempre es "clase" o "tipo", menos es "tipo de persona", que siempre sería "Type"

Mavis1912

English
    in view of the sufferings he and his like had caused
    I understand this means 'he and people like him' but in order to translate it into Spanish it would be too broad to say he and his kind, therefore i do not know how to translate it, as the direct translation just doesnt work!....any help??

Ayaros

España (español)
    in view of the sufferings he and his like had caused
    Hola Mavis1912. Yo lo traduciría así:

En vista del sufrimiento que él y los de su clase habían causado.

Espero que te sirva. Salu2!

horaxium

Spanish
    Hi all

What about "kind of busy here !" kind is used like "a few" ? and
    what another evil use exist for "kind" :D ?

horaxium

Spanish
    I mean "you are so kind !" ... kind of what ? "kind" is just a very versatile word

Last edited:

neal41

USA, English
    Can you please give the translation with 'sort'? (all 3 will be even better. :))
    The sort of model depends directly on the sort of application that we are modeling.

The kind of model depends directly on the type of applicaiton that we are modeling.

Existen 9 posiblidades. En 'the X of model' X puede ser sort, kind, o type. En 'the X of application' X puede ser sort, kind, o type.

Usé 'model' en singular. Si es necesario usar 'models' en plural, creo que kind/sort/type puede ir en singular o en plural. Creo que el verbo puede ir en singular o en plural.

The kind of models depends . . .
    The kind of models depend . . .
    The kinds of models depend . . .

Hay 9 posibilidades como en el caso singular.

Samdie

American-English
    The sort of model depends directly on the sort of application that we are modeling.

The kind of model depends directly on the type of applicaiton that we are modeling.

Existen 9 posiblidades. En 'the X of model' X puede ser sort, kind, o type. En 'the X of application' X puede ser sort, kind, o type.

Usé 'model' en singular. Si es necesario usar 'models' en plural, creo que kind/sort/type puede ir en singular o en plural. Creo que el verbo puede ir en singular o en plural.

The kind of models depends . . .
    The kind of models depend . . .
    The kinds of models depend . . .

Hay 9 posibilidades como en el caso singular.
    There is no need to use the plural ("kinds) but if you do, then the verb should be in the plural. In your specific sentence you could use any of the three words without affecting the meaning or the style. As a matter of euphony, however, I would avoid using the same word twice (as in Spanish).

Mephistofeles

Mexican Spanish
    Hi all

What about "kind of busy here !" kind is used like "a few" ? and
    what another evil use exist for "kind" :D ?
    In this case, I'd translate/interpretate this as "como"
    In spanish, at least here in México it's a very popular (and informal) way to say "something like" Although of course, you can also understand it as "a few"

< Previous | Next >