English to Spanish type

Dictionary entry: type
  • n.ares

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish - Colombia
    Thanks for you report! I've added digitar to the proposed translations. This is mainly used in Latin America and only for computer typing, so I also added usage tags for this. These changes will be visible once our dictionaries are updated in the next months.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    I'm surprised that this entry for "type" in En-Es does not mention "teclear", which is the option I would probably use for "to type".

Last edited:

n.ares

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish - Colombia
    I'm surprised that this entry for "type" in En-ES does not mention "teclear", which is the option I would probably use for "to type".

We could add it, but I'm not sure about its use because it's not really common in my region. Spanish dictionaries define teclear in a very general way:
    DRAE: Escribir algo tecleando en una máquina.
    Lexico: Escribir un texto apretando las teclas de una máquina de escribir o una computadora.

However, I think teclear is limited to the action of pressing a few keys in a machine, and I would only use it for short things, like teclear una contraseña, un número, un nombre... Things like teclear un ensayo or teclear un libro sound weird to me.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    We could add it, but I'm not sure about its use because it's not really common in my region. Spanish dictionaries define teclear in a very general way:

I have done some research.

I looked up "tecleando" in the CREA of the RAE. There are 49 occurences. Most of them refer to typing in something on a keyboard. It appears in Spanish as well in Latin American quotes.

I also looked up "digitando" and there are only 6 occurences. It appears only in Latin American countries and in at least one of these quotes, it does not refer to "typing" (but to poking someone's finger in a tomato :D )

However, I think teclear is limited to the action of pressing a few keys in a machine, and I would only use it for short things, like teclear una contraseña, un número, un nombre... Things like teclear un ensayo or teclear un libro sound weird to me.
    I'm aware that "to type" can appear in different contexts, but in at least one of them, "teclear" seems to be appropriate.

Also "escribir a máquina" is only valid in specific contexts: e.g. you would never use it if you want to say "type in your password".

Last edited:

n.ares

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish - Colombia
    I have done some research.

I looked up "tecleando" in the CREA of the RAE. There are 49 occurences. Most of them refer to typing in something on a keyboard. I appears in Spanish as well in Latin America quotes.
    Thanks! :) I added teclear to the proposed translations as it seems to be very usual in some contexts. I also added an example sentence to depict a common collocation (Teclee su contraseña y haga clic en «Iniciar sesión».)

Also "escribir a máquina" is only valid in specific contexts: e.g. you would never use it if you want to say "type in your password".
    I will leave escribir a máquina and pasar a máquina as the main translations because it seems like type is mainly used for typewriters. I included a usage tag that specifies that escribir a máquina, pasar a máquina and mecanografiar are only used for typewriters.

Nanon

français (France)
    Una pregunta adicional: ¿cómo quedaría tipear?
    El verbo tipear es una adaptación del verbo inglés to type, usada en gran parte de América, por lo que ya la recoge la 23.ª edición del Diccionario académico con el significado de ‘escribir un texto utilizando un teclado de máquina de escribir o computadora’.
    No obstante, se recuerda que, para este mismo significado, se pueden utilizar los verbos mecanografiar o dactilografiar, y las construcciones pasar o escribir a máquina.
    tipear