types of phrases

Niji

Malay
Salam and hello everyone.

Before I get started, I would like to inform you that I'm now working on my thesis about comparison between Arabic and English phrasal verbs. So I now I'm facing some confusion to complete the chapter 2 about Arabic Theoretical.

Since English divides its Phrases into a few categories, for instance Noun phrase, Verb phrase, Noun Phrase modifier, Prepositional Phrase, Adverbial Phrase and so on, thus the question is how Arabic Scholars divide Phrases in Arabic?

I looked up the definition in A Dictionary of Theoretical Linguistics English-Arabic (1991: 215), it mentions that:
Phrase in Arabic is عبارةُ (Idiomatic) or شبه جملةٍ which is a group of two or more grammatically linked words that do not have verb and doer or subject and predicate.
So, means Arabic Phrases there are no specific categories for phrases? such Noun Phrase, Adverbial Phrase e.t.c? How do Arabic categories its phrases? I hope you guys could help me.

Thank you so much.

• hazardomadaire

french
    Sorry, but I'm not sur I understand your question. But as an arabic learner I can tell you for sur that in all arabic grammar books you will find only 2 kind of phrase : nominal and verbal. Nominal starts with a noun and verbal starts with a verb. That's all I can say.

Niji

Malay
    Hello Hazar, thank you for your reply.

Sorry if my words are bit confusing. My question is what is Phrasal in Arabic? and what kind of categories does it have?
    I can tell you for sur that in all arabic grammar books you will find only 2 kind of phrase : nominal and verbal. Nominal starts with a noun and verbal starts with a verb.
    Based on what I know, your examples is related to the type of sentences which is الجملة. I'm looking for the "Phrase". Thanks btw.

Niji

Malay
    Sorry, but I'm not sur I understand your question. But as an arabic learner I can tell you for sur that in all arabic grammar books you will find only 2 kind of phrase : nominal and verbal. Nominal starts with a noun and verbal starts with a verb. That's all I can say.
    Or maybe you're right. Could you give me the examples? Thank you so much.

Muwahid

U.S. English
    شبه جملة is basically an incomplete sentence, it doesn't meet the requirements to actually be a sentence. An example would be genitive phrases, like 3alaa T-taawila (on the table), or adverbs, like al-yowm (today), and so on. 3ibaara is like an expression, or a fixed term people use. So I think the first option is what you're looking for.

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    To be honest, I'm not sure what the definition of a 'phrase' is in English. I think it's not quite the same as شبه جملة but something along those lines.
    French (phrase) = جملة = sentence

< Previous | Next >