Types of turban

shuaybi

English
Can an arabic culture/language expert please confirm the meanings of two words for me?

In the islamic culture, they say there are two ways to tie a turban:

1. Al Tahneek (التحنيك): Layering it on the head and allowing the ends of the turban to drop down on the shoulder - so that the ends are visible.
2. Al Tabqiyah (الطابقية): Layering it in such a way that the ends are tucked in - and the turban looks sort of like a helmet.

Are the above definitions correct? And can you please shed more light on the etymology of these two words (origin, root, etc).

Thanks!

• Salman1

Persian
    My understanding is that التحنيك (I believe the correct word is تَحَنُّك) involves circling one end of the turban under the chin, so that it first hangs down from one shoulder in front, circles below the jaw, and then is thrown over the other shoulder and hangs down from the back. الطابقية is as you described and has no ends hanging.

It is mentioned in Lane's Lexicon:
    "تحنّك i. e. He turned [a portion of] the turban beneath his حَنَك [here meaning the part beneath his chin and lower jaw]."

It is also described as such in Islamic Hadiths:

1- فِي قَوْلِ‌ ٱللَّٰهِ‌ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ‌ «مُسَوِّمِينَ» قَالَ‌ ٱلْعَمَائِمُ‌ ٱعْتَمَّ‌ رَسُولُ‌ ٱللَّٰهِ‌ ﷺ فَسَدَلَهَا مِنْ‌ بَيْنِ‌ يَدَيْهِ‌ وَمِنْ‌ خَلْفِهِ‌ وَٱعْتَمَّ‌ جَبْرَئِيلُ‌ فَسَدَلَهَا مِنْ‌ بَيْنِ‌ يَدَيْهِ‌ وَمِنْ‌ خَلْفِهِ‌

2- قَالَ‌ عَمَّمَ‌ رَسُولُ‌ ٱللَّٰهِ‌ ﷺ عَلِيًّا بِيَدِهِ‌ فَسَدَلَهَا مِنْ‌ بَيْنِ‌ يَدَيْهِ‌ وَقَصَّرَهَا مِنْ‌ خَلْفِهِ‌ قَدْرَ أَرْبَعِ‌ أَصَابِعَ‌ ثُمَّ‌ قَالَ‌ أَدْبِرْ فَأَدْبَرَ ثُمَّ‌ قَالَ‌ أَقْبِلْ‌ فَأَقْبَلَ‌ ثُمَّ‌ قَالَ‌ هَٰكَذَا تِيجَانُ‌ ٱلْمَلَائِكَةِ‌

3- قَالَ‌ مَنْ‌ خَرَجَ‌ مِنْ‌ مَنْزِلِهِ‌ مُعْتَمًّا تَحْتَ‌ حَنَكِهِ‌ يُرِيدُ سَفَرًا لَمْ‌ يُصِبْهُ‌ فِي سَفَرِهِ‌ سَرَقٌ‌ وَلَا حَرَقٌ‌ وَلَا مَكْرُوهٌ‌

4- قَالَ‌ مَنْ‌ تَعَمَّمَ‌ وَلَمْ‌ يَتَحَنَّكْ‌ فَأَصَابَهُ‌ دَاءٌ لَا دَوَاءَ لَهُ‌ فَلَا يَلُومَنَّ‌ إِلَّا نَفْسَهُ‌

5- قَالَ‌ مَنِ‌ ٱعْتَمَّ‌ فَلَمْ‌ يُدِرِ ٱلْعِمَامَةَ‌ تَحْتَ‌ حَنَكِهِ‌ فَأَصَابَهُ‌ أَلَمٌ‌ لَا دَوَاءَ لَهُ‌ فَلَا يَلُومَنَّ‌ إِلَّا نَفْسَهُ‌

Last edited:

shuaybi

English
    My understanding is that التحنيك (I believe the correct word is تَحَنُّك) involves circling one end of the turban under the chin, so that it first hangs down from one shoulder in front, circles below the jaw, and then is thrown over the other shoulder and hangs down from the back. الطابقية is as you described and has no ends hanging.

It is mentioned in Lane's Lexicon:
    "تحنّك i. e. He turned [a portion of] the turban beneath his حَنَك [here meaning the part beneath his chin and lower jaw]."

It is also described as such in Islamic Hadiths:

1- فِي قَوْلِ‌ ٱللَّٰهِ‌ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ‌ «مُسَوِّمِينَ» قَالَ‌ ٱلْعَمَائِمُ‌ ٱعْتَمَّ‌ رَسُولُ‌ ٱللَّٰهِ‌ ﷺ فَسَدَلَهَا مِنْ‌ بَيْنِ‌ يَدَيْهِ‌ وَمِنْ‌ خَلْفِهِ‌ وَٱعْتَمَّ‌ جَبْرَئِيلُ‌ فَسَدَلَهَا مِنْ‌ بَيْنِ‌ يَدَيْهِ‌ وَمِنْ‌ خَلْفِهِ‌

2- قَالَ‌ عَمَّمَ‌ رَسُولُ‌ ٱللَّٰهِ‌ ﷺ عَلِيًّا بِيَدِهِ‌ فَسَدَلَهَا مِنْ‌ بَيْنِ‌ يَدَيْهِ‌ وَقَصَّرَهَا مِنْ‌ خَلْفِهِ‌ قَدْرَ أَرْبَعِ‌ أَصَابِعَ‌ ثُمَّ‌ قَالَ‌ أَدْبِرْ فَأَدْبَرَ ثُمَّ‌ قَالَ‌ أَقْبِلْ‌ فَأَقْبَلَ‌ ثُمَّ‌ قَالَ‌ هَٰكَذَا تِيجَانُ‌ ٱلْمَلَائِكَةِ‌

3- قَالَ‌ مَنْ‌ خَرَجَ‌ مِنْ‌ مَنْزِلِهِ‌ مُعْتَمًّا تَحْتَ‌ حَنَكِهِ‌ يُرِيدُ سَفَرًا لَمْ‌ يُصِبْهُ‌ فِي سَفَرِهِ‌ سَرَقٌ‌ وَلَا حَرَقٌ‌ وَلَا مَكْرُوهٌ‌

4- قَالَ‌ مَنْ‌ تَعَمَّمَ‌ وَلَمْ‌ يَتَحَنَّكْ‌ فَأَصَابَهُ‌ دَاءٌ لَا دَوَاءَ لَهُ‌ فَلَا يَلُومَنَّ‌ إِلَّا نَفْسَهُ‌

5- قَالَ‌ مَنِ‌ ٱعْتَمَّ‌ فَلَمْ‌ يُدِرِ ٱلْعِمَامَةَ‌ تَحْتَ‌ حَنَكِهِ‌ فَأَصَابَهُ‌ أَلَمٌ‌ لَا دَوَاءَ لَهُ‌ فَلَا يَلُومَنَّ‌ إِلَّا نَفْسَهُ‌
    Thanks for clarifying that tahneek means to wrap the end around the chin. And for the islamic hadiths on it.

shuaybi

English
    Has anyone come across the other style الطابقية and any islamic literature/hadith on it? I do believe there is some mention that it is not a recommended style, but not sure where I read it.

And etymologically, could someone try to shed more light on the word الطابقية - root word/origin/etc.