Typhoon attacks China while hurricane wreaks havoc in America

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Both typhoon and hurricane are tropical cyclones. But typhoon attacks China while hurricane wreaks havoc in America. Who's ever said "Typhoon attacks New York"?

Source: English speaking practice by me.

The question of this thread is whether American media ever used typhoon to describe natural disastars that happened in the United States. I've never read one. All used hurricane rather than typhoon.

• Chez

English English
    Definition of a typhoon (Wikipedia)

A typhoon is a mature tropical cyclone that develops between 180° and 100°E in the Northern Hemisphere. This region is referred to as the Northwestern Pacific Basin, and is the most active tropical cyclone basin on Earth, accounting for almost one-third of the world's annual tropical cyclones.

The name typhoon is geographically limited.

Andygc

British English
    A western Pacific cyclonic storm is called a typhoon, and a western Atlantic cyclonic storm is called a hurricane. Same thing, but a different name. Different etymology because the English speakers who first experienced hurricanes heard the Spanish word for the storm and those who first experienced typhoons heard the Chinese word.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Typhoons and hurricanes are both types of tropical cyclones, with the only difference being the location where they form. When such storms form in the northwestern part of the Pacific Ocean, they are called "typhoons", while if they form in the northeastern Pacific, in the Caribbean Sea, or the Atlantic Ocean, they are called "hurricanes." Note that such storms that form in the Indian Ocean or the Southern Pacific are called neither "typhoons" or "hurricanes," but are instead called -- "tropical cyclones"!

kentix

English - U.S.
    I don't think we'd ever use "attack" for any storm. That sounds too much like a storm has intelligence.

We would use words like:
    batters
    pounds
    pummels

And in extreme cases maybe "mauls"

< Previous | Next >