typically starting bursting

carolmoraiss

Portuguese
I'm having a hard time understanding an article I've been reading (it hasn't been published yet, so I can't disclose much information about it). Here's a slightly modified excerpt:

"The type of teaching he defends is in his words "problem posing" education typically starting bursting with problems which a teacher is invited to introduce with a question".

The three words in bold sound awfully incoherent to me. Is there a comma missing? Or maybe a preposition?

I really don't know what the author meant with this.

This is whats I understand, but it doesn't seem to make much sense either.
The problem posing education, which typically starts by bursting itself with questions which...

Please, help! Thanks!

• carolmoraiss

Portuguese
    I just modified the words "type" and "defends" so I'm sure it won't make much difference in this case. Thanks, Glenfarclas!

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    In that case, the punctuation and syntax of the sentence is awful. It is, as you say, borderline incoherent. The first half would be intelligible if it were punctuated like this: "The type of teaching he defends is, in his words, 'problem-posing education'." But I really can't tell what starts bursting, or whether the education starts by bursting, or who "invites" :confused: the teacher to introduce the problems. To the extent I can make sense of it, the idea is that the teacher starts the lesson by presenting a question which is "bursting with problems," i.e., which raises a lot of different problems and other questions.

Cross-posted with ATF, and yes, I think it needs the hyphen.

Last edited:
    Do you know if this at all related to the Socratic method of teaching, perhaps, designed to sharpen critical thinking by a teacher asking questions which deliberately provoke (invite) other questions?

(Not that that will solve the problems of the sentence, but it might be some kind of reference to what we're talking about here.:))

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Problem-posing education" is explained (briefly) here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem-posing_education

"Problem-posing education solves the student-teacher contradiction by recognizing that knowledge is not deposited from one (the teacher) to another (the student) but is instead formulated through dialogue between the two."

I assume the person who wrote the OP sentence is not a native speaker of English. Maybe you should contact them and ask them what they meant.

< Previous | Next >