Typing a letter from longhand: what is the verb?

< Previous | Next >

researcher616

American English
I'm a native English speaker, but now I need your help!

I'm looking for a verb. Here's the action: I'm typing out a letter written in (rather difficult to read) longhand so that it's easier for me to refer back to the letter.

I'm not translating or converting or transposing the letter. What is the verb that would accurately and concisely fit?

• researcher616

American English
    I was hunting around my thesaurus and found the word: transcribe. Good grief, I should have known that.

(I used typing out instead of typing, because the latter suggests that I am composing while typing.)

sdgraham

USA English
    Since you asked for concise usage, I will continue on this area of the discussion.
    (I used typing out instead of typing, because the latter suggests that I am composing while typing.)
    Certainly not to me. Let's use a little logic and consider that some companies have "typing pools," not "typing out pools." :eek:

researcher616

American English
    Since you asked for concise usage, I will continue on this area of the discussion.
    Certainly not to me. Let's use a little logic and consider that some companies have "typing pools," not "typing out pools." :eek:
    I didn't suggest and would not use "typing out pools." However, in colloquial usage, if I'm going to type a letter, it suggests I'm going to get on the computer and think of what I'm going to say while I type.

If I already have something handwritten in a notebook but need it in printed type, I'd say I'm going to type out the (already written) letter.

That's simply what I've heard.

JamesM

I would say, "type it up". The closest single word for me is "transcribe".

"Would you please type up these notes?" sounds very natural to me. So does "I'm going to type up my notes/letter".

< Previous | Next >