Typing Arabic Numbers in MS Word

< Previous | Next >

gulfkalbo24

Philippines - English & Tagalog
Hi, I would like some assistance regarding Arabic numbers being typed into MS Word.

For example, how do I type 1,000.00 in Arabic using MS Word? When I try typing it straight to MS Word, it seems to mess up the order of the numbers. Also, to confirm, Arabic numbers are read from left to right and not right-to-left, is this correct?

• Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Hello,

Sorry, I won't answer directly to your question, but what your call "Arabic numbers" are actually Indian numbers. Arabic numbers are the one used in Latin languages and others, like "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" etc ;).

About Indian numbers, there are read like Arabic numbers, from left to right ;).

akhooha

English - USA
    MS word is often a pain when using the Arabic keyboard, and will screw up numbers which have commas and decimal points. The work-around I use is to type the numbers in something like Notepad (with English keyboard), copy them, then paste them into the MS Word Arabic document. Kind of irritating, but its the only way I've found to get around the deficiencies of MS Word, and not too bad if you only have to deal with a few numbers. And yes, numbers in Arabic are read left to right.

P.S. I don't know how ahmedcowon did it --- maybe he has MS Word specifically designed for Arabic. I am using MS Word designed for English, with modifications for Arabic..

Last edited:

barkoosh

Arabic - Lebanon
    Yes, numbers are typed in Word from left to right in Arabic.

Numbers are read from left to right (except from 11 to 99 which are read from right to left [of course excluding 20, 30, 40...])

Please note that the thousand separator is generally not used in Arabic (at least with short numbers).

To type 1000.00 in Word, start with 1 then three zeros. Then type the period character "." (It's where the "." is on the English Windows keyboard but with SHIFT on the Arabic keyboard) A dot will appear to the left of the number, since Word will presume that it's the end of the sentence. However, when Arabic-enabled Word detects a number typed after that period, it will recognize it as a decimal separator. So when you type the two zeros after the period, the "." should turn (at least in Word 2010) to "," (the decimal separator in Arabic).

akhooha

English - USA
    Thank you Barkoosh. All this time it never occurred to me to type another number after I saw the comma or the decimal point going to the wrong side. You're right, as soon as you type a number after the "," or the "." the comma and the decimal point go to the right position. By the way, I'm using Word 2003, and the "." does not change to a "," but I can use "," as a decimal point with no problem. Thanks again.

barkoosh

Arabic - Lebanon
    By the way, I'm using Word 2003, and the "." does not change to a "," but I can use "," as a decimal point with no problem. Thanks again.
    Word changes the "." into "," only if the digits used are Arabic (called Hindi in Word): ١٢٣٤... not 1234...

< Previous | Next >