Typing error / messed up the typing?

< Previous | Next >

student666

Chinese
1. Sorry, I made a typing error. There is an additional word in it.
2. Sorry, I messed up the typing. There is an extra word in it.

Which expression is more informal and popular? Is the first one Ok in oral/ informal context.
Is "mess up" here an equivelent of "make an error"?
Some say, "error" is a formal word and is thus inapproriate in informal occasions. Is this so?
Which one here is better, "additional" or "extra"? Or they both are acceptalbe here? For some point outed that "additional" is somthing one needs and added later. While "extra" is somthing one doesn't need and is done at the same time.

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    student666 said:
    1. Sorry, I made a typing error. There is an additional word in it.
    2. Sorry, I messed up the typing. There is an extra word in it.

Which expression is more informal and popular? Is the first one Ok in oral/ informal context.
    Some say, "error" is a formal word and is thus inapproriate in informal occasions. Is this so?
    Which one here is better, "additional" or "extra"? Or they both are acceptalbe here? For some point outed that "additional" is somthing one needs and added later. While "extra" is somthing one doesn't need and is done at the same time.
    I would go for "a typing error" as you only omitted one word. There is a sense, in "I messed up the typing" of having produced something which made no sense.
    I would also opt for "extra" if limited to a choice between it an "additional". I would prefer to say "There was a word omitted". Both extra and additional carry overtones of superfluous, that the sense of the sentence/paragraph remains unchanged by the insertion of this addition.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I agree with Tony, you didn't mess up the typing if only one word is involved. But what did you do?

There is an additional word in it.
    There is an extra word in it.

What is it?
    I thought it was the typing - meaning that you have typed a word that shouldn't be there.
    Tony suggests that you have left out a word - that it was the stuff that was to be typed.

If you left out a word, I think you should say:
    I left out a word.
    If you typed a word that shouldn't be there, I think you should say:
    I typed an extra word.

Clayjar

English, Canada
    student666 said:
    In Canadian and American English, it's very common to say "I made a typo" if you made a small mistake such as adding/omitting/mispelling a word. (This is not a formal expression, however.)

< Previous | Next >