typo vs typing error

< Previous | Next >

Karen123456

Malaysia English
My daughter asked me what's the difference between "typo" and "typing error". I told her that basically they are the same. I doubt from her reaction she agrees with me.

I have checked in the dictionaries and it seems my reply is OK.

Thanks.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I suppose in theory that there are typing errors you could make that wouldn't be typos. Typing past the right edge of the paper (on a typewriter) would be a kind of typing error, but we wouldn't call it a typo. But for at least 99% of cases, they are the same thing.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Typo is a clipping of typographical: in other words, it is associated with typography (arranging the type), not necessarily with typing. I agree, however, that these days, there isn't a lot of difference between them.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with the others. No real difference for me. You could explain to her, very nicely, "Honey, it's called a 'keyboarding error' nowadays". :D

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I consider them interchangeable in meaning, but I regard 'typo' as less formal. There are contexts in which I would only use 'typing error'. Perhaps that's the kind of difference your daughter has in mind.

< Previous | Next >