U.S Army Aviation and Missile Command.

< Previous | Next >

hack3rcon

Russian
Hello.
I'm reading Mafiaboy book and I want to know what does "U.S Army Aviation and Missile Command" mean? I know it is a department but is it for "Helicopters and manage rockets"?
"In 2005 it was revealed that a team of about twenty Chinese hackers dubbed Titan Rain broke into the U.S Army Aviation and Missile Command".

Thank you.

• Retired-teacher

British English
    You have the right idea although that department might have a few ordinary aircraft as well as helicopters. You really need an answer from an American to be sure.

Myridon

English - US
    In military terms, a "command" can be an organization. The Word Reference dictionary doesn't seem to cover this, but from Merriam-Webster:
    4 : the personnel, area, or organization under a commander; specifically : a unit of the U.S. Air Force higher than an air force
    This command handles both "Aviation and Missile."

Packard

USA, English
    Wiki has an article on this. The information for me was non-intuitive:

United States Army Aviation and Missile Command - Wikipedia

The United States Army Aviation and Missile Command (AMCOM) is primarily responsible for life cycle management of army missile, helicopter, unmanned ground vehicle and unmanned aerial vehicle weapon system. The central part of AMCOM's mission involves ensuring readiness through acquisition and sustainment support for aviation systems, missile systems, and test, measurement, and diagnostic equipment (TMDE) throughout their life cycle.

jsharm

English - Australia
    No, it doesn't mean "command helicopters and missiles" It includes helicopters and missiles.

Andygc

British English
    Thus, It mean "command helicopters and missile" ?
    No. A "command" is an organisational division of a military force. The link I gave you in post #3 gives details of the role of AMCOM and the links on that website provide details of the organisation of the US Army into commands. AMCOM manages the procurement and maintenance of US Army aircraft and missiles. From that website
    The U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command was established on October 1, 1997. It was formed with the merger of the aviation portion of the US Army Aviation and Troop Command and the US Army Missile Command. The AMCOM LCMC at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama was formed in October 2004 to transform from a concept to an integrated, closely aligned organization with a single commander who has the primary responsibility for the life cycle of all the Army's aviation and missile weapon systems. AMCOM has a rich history and the nucleus of its organizations also produced the experienced teams that became NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, the Army Space and Missile Defense Command and the Defense Intelligence Agency's Missile and Space Intelligence Center.
    It includes command helicopters and missiles.
    :confused: I've no idea what you mean by a "command helicopter".

PS The WordReference dictionary does cover this, provided that you make the effort to read down to the BE section near the bottom of the page:
    a military unit or units commanding a specific area or function, as in the RAF

jsharm

English - Australia
    You're right. There is probably no such thing as a "command helicopter". I was thinking of "command module", which is a spacecraft.

hack3rcon

Russian
    No. A "command" is an organisational division of a military force. The link I gave you in post #3 gives details of the role of AMCOM and the links on that website provide details of the organisation of the US Army into commands. AMCOM manages the procurement and maintenance of US Army aircraft and missiles. From that website

:confused: I've no idea what you mean by a "command helicopter".

PS The WordReference dictionary does cover this, provided that you make the effort to read down to the BE section near the bottom of the page:
    Control.

< Previous | Next >