Ukrainian: Візміть місце

Szkot

British English
In a BBC drama series - The Nest - the characters visit a medical clinic 'abroad'. On the wall is a sign:

Приймальня
Будь ласка, візміть місце і чекати, щоб називатися. This is meant to mean Reception. Please take a seat and wait to be called.

I guess this is just a bad translation, but I wonder whether the idiom візміть місце actually exists in Ukrainian. Somewhere, possibly in Russian, I have seen it used to mean 'take place' (of an event), but that may have been wrong as well.

• ohhell

Ukrainian
    I think in Ukraine we say something like присядьте "take a seat'
    And займіть місце "take a place" we use more for transport.
    For example, when you are on a bus and a driver tells you to "take a place/seat" займіть місце which in this case means something like 'you don't need to stand as there is a free place to sit' or if you bought a plane ticket and stewardess tells you, 'take a seat' which in this case means that you had bought a ticket, so you should sit on a place which is stated on the ticket...

I'm not sure if I got your question in the right way but I hope I helped a little bit...

Szkot

British English
    Thank you. I wondered how correct the Ukrainian was; it sounded a bit unnatural. Also I thought the use of називатися might be a mistake.

ohhell

Ukrainian
    Thank you. I wondered how correct the Ukrainian was; it sounded a bit unnatural. Also I thought the use of називатися might be a mistake.

Yep, називатися is a mistake here, also verbs are used in the wrong way.
    The right way to say it would be, 'Будь ласка, присядьте й почекайте, Вас покличуть.' - 'Please, take a seat and wait to be called'

'Приймальня' and 'Будь ласка' are fine ( by the way, people sometimes mistakenly write Будь ласка with a hyphen like Будь-ласка but it's wrong so I'm glad they at least didn't make that mistake :)

If you have any other questions about the Ukrainian language, I'll be glad to answer them ( at least those questions which about I know ).
    Have a good day!

Szkot

British English
    Thank you. I know very little Ukrainian, but I thought it looked wrong in the television series, like someone had looked up the words one by one in a dictionary

There was also a sign pointing to номери консультантів which I guess was also wrong.

ohhell

Ukrainian
    I've never heard anything like this, it's must be wrong but I don't know what they meant to say by that so it's kind of hard to explain it to you.

"номери" can be referred to hotel rooms but as it's a medical clinic maybe they wanted to say 'hospital wards/rooms'
    It seems to me that they just combined a little bit unrelated words because I just can't figure it out :)

I've found that photo but still can't figure out what they meant xd

Szkot

British English
    In Britain senior hospital doctors are called consultants, but also clinics have consulting rooms, where examinations and minor medical procedures are carried out.

Whatever they meant, they made a mess of it. Thanks for all your help.

Panceltic

Slovenščina
    Just my 2p, there's also something distinctively off with these signs in terms of their design. Is it the colour combination or font choices, I don't know, but you wouldn't see such a thing in real life.

ohhell

Ukrainian
    Just my 2p, there's also something distinctively off with these signs in terms of their design. Is it the colour combination or font choices, I don't know, but you wouldn't see such a thing in real life.
    Yep, I think the font on the first sign is especially off. Although those colours look pretty similar to what we use in Ukraine.

Slogos

Russian
    Looks like one of those word-for-word machine translations. Although, this is much better than switching your keyboard to Cyrillic and typing English words...

Apricity

Ukrainian
    "Будь ласка, візміть місце і чекати, щоб називатися" - To me, how we usually put it in good Ukrainian is: "Просимо Вас сісти та чекати, поки Вас не покличуть". Of course, there may be different ways to convey the meaning; you may use, for example, the word "присісти" instead of "сісти", although the word "присісти" originally meaning only "to squat" assumed also the meaning of "to sit down for a moment" only recently (decades ago) under the influence of the other language, especially when Ukrainian was proclaimed the state language, and non-Ukrainian speakers started to massively use Ukrainian (among other things) adding to Ukrainian words others meanings. An illustrative example is the famous statement, so often used by politicians "Україна відбулась".