Ukrainian/Belarusian повиминають

Kobzar

Spanish - Spain
Hello, everybody! I want to translate a text from the oral tradition of the Kiev region, published by Виноградова, Людмила Николаевна, и Левкиевская, Елена Евгеньевна, 2012: Народная демонология Полесья, том 2, Москва, Рукописные Памятники Древней Руси, стр. 535, нр. 283. I think that the language of the text is neither standard Ukrainian nor standard Belarusian, but some dialect. The text deals with the rusalki, and there is a word that I have not been able to found yet in any dictionary. Here is the context:

Кажуть, оны ходили да шкоду робили, тые русалки. Жыто повиминають, на городи ужэ там шо поробицця, якая-то шкода.

This was written down in Kopači, Černobyl' district, Kiev region, in 1985, according to my source. My problem is the word повиминають. Any help will be welcome! Thank you very much in advance!

• galakha

Ukrainian
    In this context it means "to trample down".
    It's said that they (those rusalkas) were wandering around and causing mischief like trampling the rye or making a mess in the kitchen gardens.

Kobzar

Spanish - Spain
    In this context it means "to trample down".
    It's said that they (those rusalkas) were wandering around and causing mischief like trampling the rye or making a mess in the kitchen gardens.
    Thank you! Of course it makes sense.

Selyd

ucraniano
    Кажуть, оны ходили да шкоду робили, тые русалки. Жыто повиминають, на городи ужэ там шо поробицця, якая-то шкода.
    Українською:
    Кажуть, вони ходили та шкоду робили, тії русалки. Жито повиминають, на городі вже там що ж то поробиться, яка-то шкода.
    Якби просто потоптали жито - витолочили.
    Повиминали - зерно з колосків (de espigos moviendo por palmas) забрали.

Last edited:

ahvalj

The derivation is (I'll use Russian variants as there are articles in Wiktionary for them):
    мя-ть (primary verb, imperfective) → вы-мя-ть (prefixed perfective) → вы-мин-а-ть (secondary imperfective) → по-вы-мин-а-ть (additionally prefixed secondary imperfective)

like:
    мере-тьвы-мере-тьвы-мир-а-тьпо-вы-мир-а-ть

The prefix вы- conveys the meaning “away, from”, по- conveys the meaning “one after one”, the imperfective means a non-punctual (i. e. repeated or continuous) action.

P. S. Having woken up in the morning I thought that повыминали and повымирали are better treated as perfectives.

P. P. S. A few hours later. Actually, at least in Russian in this particular group of verbs (по- + second prefix) the aspectual difference isn't quite regulated. Повымять/повыминать is a rare word (I have never met it before), but, for example, понабрать/понабирать aren't aspectually distinct to me in most contexts (понабрали туалетной бумаги ≈ понабирали туалетной бумаги).

Last edited:
    Next >