Ukrainian : Kujambel meaning marmalade

< Previous | Next >

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
Hello,
Following a earlier discussion of mine : Kujambelwasser (Seemännisch)
On the subject of Navy slang in the German military, the suggestion was that had its origin in Ukrainian. (Presumably during the September 1941 and August 1944 occupation.) I found that kujambelwasser translates to lemonade in German WWII slang
Seemannsausdruck für verdünnte Limonade
Mir hat ein Smut (ship’s cook) mal erklärt die Bezeichnung kommt von einem süßen Kompott, der traditionell auf der Krim aus Zitrusfrüchten gefertigt wird, dieser Kompott heißt auf russisch (ukrainisch) "Kujambel".
Can anybody confirm that Kujambel is a kind of citrus fruit marmalade made in the Crimea?
Or think of a word in Ukrainian which might prove (or disprove) this theory?

Last edited:
  • AndrasBP

Hungarian
    Can anybody confirm that Kujambel is a kind of citrus fruit marmalade made in the Crimea?
    Or think of a word in Ukrainian which might prove (or disprove) this theory?
    I can't prove or disprove anything but I find the "Crimean marmalade" meaning very unlikely. I tried to google about 5-6 versions of the Cyrillic transcription of the word, and found absolutely nothing. If "Kujambel" was really part of the local cuisine, there should have been at least a few Google hits in Russian, which is the most widely spoken language in Crimea. The word certainly doesn't look Slavic, but if it is indeed of Crimean origin, it might come from Crimean Tatar, a Turkic language.
    Whatever its origin, this form of the word seems to be used in German only.

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    I think you are right. What would disprove this German wartime story is the actual name used for traditional citrus fruit jams in the Crimea region. The Turkic origin hadn’t occurred to me. Thanks for that.

While it may be a made up word, it’s inspiration may well have been Tatar.
    Kystyby, is a kind of round flatbread filled either with potato or with porridge. Kazylyk is horse meat sausage traditional to this nomadic people. Talkysh kaleve is a sugary dessert made from honey. Other dishes named Katlama, Köbete, Kol Böreği, Kaş Kaş and the list goes on. The use of « K » as initial letter may stem from the fact the Wehrmacht’s had precious little contact with this culture. K + the English jam + typical German -el suffix. In any case, it would appear it’s only a story embellished to get submariners to take their « medicine » that is vitamin C to avoid scury on longish voyages.
    Online searching reveals
    Kujambel = alle Sorten von Fruchtsaftgetränken

Kujambels =Bezeichnung für die fremde Währung in ausländischen Häfen
    Clearly a made up word, since the addition of an s completely changes the meaning. And in a parallel discussion Kujuffel we find a similar construction Ku + juff + German suffix el. Here Ku + jamb (misspelling of jam?) + el suffix.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >