Ukrainian: Travel

evolucion

Spain Spanish, English
Hello

I need to know how it writes the word travel in Ukrainian.

Also I would like to know how in Ukrainian say cheap travel or similar.

How you write this words in Latin characters?

Thanks and Best Regards

• mateo19

I often use this dictionary to look up Ukrainian words:
    http://www.cybermova.com/cgi-bin/olenuapro.pl
    It's a good dictionary for learners because it shows the entries in both Cyrillic and Latin characters. For "travel" as a noun, it shows:
    пої́здка, по́дорож, мандрі́вка
    (poyízdka), (pódorozh), (mandrívka)

A native speaker will have to tell you which word is the best for your context (we'll need more context from you) and then to find how to make the adjective "cheap" agree with it. Good luck!

evolucion

Spain Spanish, English
    The context is:

Imagine, an Internet user wants to search in Internet the word travel in Ukrainian and the same for cheap travel.

I dont know if the native speaker use a verb or a name.

Natabka

Ukraine (Ukrainian)
    For "travel" as a noun, it shows:
    пої́здка, по́дорож, мандрі́вка
    (poyízdka), (pódorozh), (mandrívka)

Hi, Evolucion!
    Mateo has given you the correct synonyms to word travel but it seems to me it's difficult to figure out what syllable is stressed there (in Ukrainian we put stress marks on the vowels of the stressed syllable) -->

(poyízdka), (pódorozh), (mandrvka)

As for "cheap" the most general and suitable in most cases equivalent is>

дешевий
    (deshevyi)

In the case Evolucion suggests I would use подорож (general), like "подорож по Україні" (podorozh po Ukrayini), but it means a long one (in terms of places covered and with undefined time). If it's a short visit implying a concrete place of destination as well as time of return, I think "поїздка" is better (pojizdka v Ukrayinu). Deshevyi suits both cases.

Last edited:

evolucion

Spain Spanish, English
    Thanks, Natabka.

What Does мандрі́вка Mean?

What is the diference to пої́здка, по́дорож, мандрі́вка?

Natabka

Ukraine (Ukrainian)
    Well, all of these three words can be generally used instead of "travel". Adding to what I said in the previous post I may group them like this:

Long journey, usually by transport and/or on foot:

подорож

мандрівка (moreover, I would use this one and not "подорож", when I wanted to say that I'm going into mountains. "Мандрівка" is in most part made on foot)

Short trip, by means of transport:

поїздка (for example, you live in London and want to go to country for a weekday, or plan to visit a neighbouring town, then you make "поїздку")

How was that? Helpful? :)