Ukranian: suffix -щина

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Good morning ladies an gentlemen, today I saw the word Київщина and I learned it is an area around Kiev. I found the suffix -щина fascinating because in Czech (what I speak) -ina means something different. Then, I learnt there is Угорщина meaning Hungary. Interesting. My question is related to -щина: are there any other words with -щина which mean a geographical area??? I am not sure Німеччина :confused: , or is -ччина of he same origin? Can you use -щина with other Ukrainian geographical regions? There is -sko in Czech, so I wonder if it exists in other Slavic languages. Thanks.

• ahvalj

That's the widespread Ukrainian suffix: Одесщина, Полтавщина, Сумщина, Львівщина, Миколаївщина. Also Техасщина, Вашингтонщина. Etymologically is -sk- + -ina, the former the same as in Maďarsko, the latter as in Галичина. Німеччина comes from *Němьčьščina, with *-k-isk-īnā>-čьščina>-ččina.

The Czech -sko is the neuter form of a short adjective, the same as -sk in many names of the East Slavic and Polish cities (masculine agreement with gorod~gród). The Ukrainian Польща comes from Poļ- + -ьsk- + -ja, that is the same suffix in feminine extended with -j-. The unextended suffix -sko is across Slavic best attested in vojьsko, otherwise the variants -isko and -išče (*skj>šč) are generalized.

[Typos]

Last edited:

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Fantastic and very interesting answer. Thanks a lot. So now I am going to open a new thread in All Slavic languages. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >