Umbrella / Sunshade / Parasol

< Previous | Next >
  • Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi everyone!!

I have a question regarding the use of these three words: umbrella, sunshade and parasol. I know you use an umbrella for the rain, but... what do you use for the beach??

Another question: Which one of the three words mentioned above do you use for this car gadget??

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/749/cimg5459zz5.jpg

Thanks and regards.
    In Canada, we would rarely hear the word "sunshade" and never the word "parasol". When going to the beach, we would take our "beach umbrella". I would expect to hear "sunshade" in relation to an awning placed over a window to keep the sun from heating up my kitchen.

JamesM

One more thing: do you think this is an 'awning' or just a 'canvas'... or anything else??

http://www.la-forquita.com/Albun_fotos/Cenador2.JPG

These go by a few names around me. They could be called pavilions or gazebos (which seems odd to me since I picture a gazebo built of wood.) If they have just a roof and are collapsible they are also often called Pop-ups here, after a brand name of a portable collapsible covering that is easy to set up quickly.
    http://www.patiofurniturestation.com/large-ap-UG-310xxx.htm
    http://www.patiofurniturestation.com/large-ap-UG-310xxxa.htm
    http://www.patiofurniturestation.com/large-ap-UG-310xxxb.htm

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Thanks very much, folks. I couldn't answer before as I was required for a meeting (yes, I'm at work).

So, to summarize:

- Umbrella is the usual word for both the beach and the rain.

- Parasol or sunshade are seldom used.

- Awning is the canvas you put on top on a window.

- Gazebos or pavillions are used in gardens, though Pop-ups is quite a common name in the US.

Regards.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That stroller has a parasol, or sunshade, attached to it.

Anything used to shade something from the sun might be called a sunshade. That picture isn't the first thing that would come to my mind, but then there is little need for objects like that in my part of the world. Look at the Google Images results for sunshade.

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Yes, Panj, that's where everything started. I looked at the Google Images to know exactly the use of sunshade and parasol and I found beach umbrellas and so many different things that were called like that!!

Anyway, thanks for your help. Now it is more clear (clearer??).

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    - Umbrella is the usual word for both the beach and the rain.
    Not quite correct; we specify "beach umbrella" for the one we use at the beach, which is usually much larger and heavier than the one used when it rains.

- Parasol or sunshade are seldom used. :tick:

- Awning is the canvas you put on top on a window. :tick:

- Gazebos or pavillions are used in gardens, :tick:

though Pop-ups is quite a common name in the US. :( Never heard of it! Remember that JamesM specified that this is used where he lives, in California. It is not known at all in my part of the country.

Regards.

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Thanks for your clarifications, Cuchuflete.

According to Panjandrum anything that keeps the sunlight away can be called a sunshade, but you say you seldom use either the word parasol or sunshade; then what do you call the objects (like the thing to protect the car windows or the little umbrella on a pushchair)?? Is this an AmE/BrE difference??

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thanks for your clarifications, Cuchuflete.

According to Panjandrum anything that keeps the sunlight away can be called a sunshade, but you say you seldom use either the word parasol or sunshade;[...]
    I said anything used to shade something from the sun might be called a sunshade.
    Perhaps I should be more clear.
    Sunshade is a very generic term - like clothes. Looking at the wide range of things shown in the Google Images search, there is no specific item, or category of item, that I could say is a sunshade.
    Any of those things might be called a sunshade, but if there is a more specific term I would prefer to use it - so I wouldn't use the term sunshade very often.

Hi everyone!
    After reading all your posts, I still wonder which word to use when describing a big "parasol" above a table outside a restaurant.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Teddy. When I hear people refer to them in the U.S., they generally call them umbrellas. There may be a few other popular names for them that I am not familiar with.

I asked here because it was more about parasols and umbrellas. In my other post, I asked about shade too and needed translation advice.

I am very grateful to all the people helped me.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    After reading all your posts, I still wonder which word to use when describing a big "parasol" above a table outside a restaurant.
    As seen in the other thread, there's probably regional difference here. Americans would be reluctant to say parasol for that, whereas it's fine for English speakers in other places.

As seen in the other thread, there's probably regional difference here. Americans would be reluctant to say parasol for that, whereas it's fine for English speakers in other places.
    I'll stick to "parasol" as it is what makers say.
    Again, thank you for everyone's help.
    I will probably be back on the forum as my translating job is giving me a hard time.:)
    :thank you:

london calling

UK English
    I asked here because it was more about parasols and umbrellas. In my other post, I asked about shade too and needed translation advice.

I am very grateful to all the people helped me.
    This isn't a translation forum. Have you posted on theFrench English forum?😊We are of course always happy to help, in any case.

Last edited:
    Sorry my sentence didn't convey what I meant.
    I know this isn't a translation forum but I needed to know about parasols and shade (protection from the sun) to translate a text for a friend. That's why I created the other thread (I hope I was clearer there).
    I hope, I created my thread in the proper forum.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >