umpteen times

powerhousebridge

Malayalam
Situation- Several times communicted to an office for a report but they have not yet been responded in the circumstance can I used the following sentence for communicate with them" Even though umpteen times I have communicated with you the called for report has not yet been recieved so provide the same at the earliest" .My concerned mostly about the usage of the phrase umpteen times.

• pob14

American English
    I wouldn't use it in a business context; it's very informal, and perhaps more important, inexact. I would think you would want to mention exactly how many times you had contacted them. (Your sentence has a number of other problems, which you may want to ask about in other threads.)

Alby84

American English
    I wouldn't use it in a business context; it's very informal, and perhaps more important, inexact. I would think you would want to mention exactly how many times you had contacted them. (Your sentence has a number of other problems, which you may want to ask about in other threads.)
    Agreed. "Umpteen" is definitely considered informal and you would not want to use that in a business inquiry such as this. The same would go for a zillion times. Although people use these in everyday language all the time, you wouldn't be taken very seriously in a business setting, and it would most likely be seen as inconsiderate. Also, as Pob mentioned, I would further edit your original sentence as there are multiple errors in it.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I agree with pob14 that you should say exactly how many times, if you know. If you don't have a record of it, it's preferable to say "several times".
    The informal "umpteen" in this context could convey anger, which may not be constructive for your purpose.
    Along the same lines, I would insert "please": "...so please provide..."—this is still a very direct way of making a request.
    One could argue that its function is not so much one of politeness, but rather of grammatically identifying "provide" as an imperative.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Moderator note: I've merged powerhousebridge's later thread with his/her earlier one. Please do not start new threads on the same question.

< Previous | Next >