un abbraccio sentito

Kotler

Sweden Swedish
Un amico ha firmato un SMS con "un abbraccio sentito". Non ho mai visto quest'espressione prima e non so se riferisce al verbo "sentire" o se si tratta forse di un certo modo di dire? è comune questa frase?

A friend of mine signed a text with "un abbraccio sentito". I´ve never heard that expression before and I don't know whether it refers to the verb "sentire" or if it is an expression? Is this a common phrase?

• Hermocrates

Italian & British English (bilingual)
    A friend of mine signed a text with "un abbraccio sentito". I´ve never heard that expression before and I don't know whether it refers to the verb "sentire" or if it is an expression? Is this a common phrase?
    The verb "sentire" has many meanings in Italian. Among others, "to hear" and "to feel".

In this case "un abbraccio sentito" literally means "a heartfelt hug".

I hope this helps! :)

Rye

dc2fla

English - US
    Is "un abbraccio sentito" an appropriate close for a note I'm writing to thank a friend who sent me a note of encouragement? She closed her note (in English) with "big hugs and best wishes." As Italian is her first language, and we sometimes exchange greetings in Italian, I wanted to respond accordingly and correctly using "un abbraccio" in a phrase that's not "cuddly". Background- She as an executive with a client of mine. We've worked together for many years. now between projects we share updates on family (our children, husbands), colleagues, etc. as well as each other.

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    I think it's very beautiful. I would like to receive it.

I'd probably write Un sentito abbraccio. I dont' know why.

Or you could write Un abbraccio affettuoso (affectionate)

dc2fla

English - US
    Thank you - She has been such a good friend. I found the phrase elsewhere on these forums, but in a different context. Why do you suggestadjective before the noun? Does it change the meaning or is it for emphasis?

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    Buh, sometimes we swap adjective and noun and the meaning changes

un vecchio amico (an old friend) - un amico vecchio (an elderly friend)

Sometimes we swap only for style reasons

un abbraccio sentito = un sentito abbraccio

dc2fla

English - US
    Yes, as in French in which I'm much more fluent... I like the suggested flip, it's seems a warm touch and still in the vein I was seeking. Thank you for your quick response!

< Previous | Next >