un acerbo [acervo]

< Previous | Next >

Sniegurochka

Russian

How to translate this into English? I don’t know any Spanish, but it seems to me that in the sentence I am working on un acerbo is a noun.

Full sentence:

My translation: We had to mark the survey with more precise limits, by not diluting the investigation by enormous bitterness of given scholars (or: of scholarly data?).

Is my translation ok? Thanks!

• jmale

English USA
    Hello,

It's difficult to answer your question without more context and the original Spanish sentence. Would you mind to post those?

Thank you.

jmale

Sniegurochka

Russian
    So sorry, I forgot to paste the sentence! Here it is:

Hubimos de acotar la encuesta en limites muy precisos para no diluir la investigaciόn en un acerbo ingente de datos eruditos.

estemero

Spanish - Spain
    It seems to me it's a noun in my sentence...
    After reading the sentence in spanish, you're right but and I can see where the problem is. It should say:

" ... un acervo ingente de datos eruditos"

"acervo" means "a pile, a lot of little things"

jmale

English USA
    Hello again.

Could acerbo actually be acervo which means heritage, baggage, heap? If so, the maybe the latter part of your translation might read:...in order not to dilute (water down) the enormous collection of scholarly data.

Hope this helps your translation?

jmale

jmale

English USA
    You could also substitute to misinterpret for to dilute, although they are not exactly synonymous. Misinterpret sounds appropriate when talking about data collections.

< Previous | Next >