un cleanliness

< Previous | Next >

MissAnnette

Argentina- spanish
Hi everyone. I would like to know your opinion on the noun cleanliness (vs cleanless, I saw this discussion posted) to refer not only to the physical state but also, and probably manily, to a sort of spiritual/ internal description. More importantly, I would like to know the appropiate opposite word to it. Would you go for un cleanliness?
Thanks a lot!
Annette

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    There's no such word as "cleanless". There is such a word as "unclean" so you could use "uncleanliness" (all one word, by the way).

Without much more context, I can't say whether this word is appropriate for your intentions.

MissAnnette

Argentina- spanish
    I am writing my final dissertation on a South African playwright. As I talk about the images he uses to describe one of his characters I say "he has been representing her past with images of uncleanliness". Does it make any sense to you? Is it an appropiate way of phrasing this? I wonder!

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello MissAnnette :)

In a spiritual context, "purity/impurity" might be appropriate. Just an idea..

MissAnnette

Argentina- spanish
    I totally see your point, but the author does use images of cleanliness and the opposite to metaphorially speak of purity/ impurity, so I would like to put that idea down, using the proper noun. Is my idea more or less clear?

< Previous | Next >