un deget tăiat

Mallarme

AmEng., "lapsed" Korean
un deget tăiat

Does this mean that you have a cut on your finger (for example, when you get a paper cut, in which case, your finger is still attached to your hand). OR does it mean that your finger has been cut off and it's no longer attached to your hand? Or can it mean both?

Mulţumesc :)

• parakseno

Romanian, Romania
    Well, it can mean both things (it's the context again!). I think most people would understand the paper cut variant (at least the less sadistic people :D). If you want to be clear you'll have to be more... "descriptive".

robbie_SWE

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    I would acutally say that it means that you severed your own finger. :eek: That's the impression I would receive if I read it in a book.

:) robbie

Mallarme

AmEng., "lapsed" Korean
    Mersi robbie şi parakseno :)

parakseno, contextul este o poezie. Iată câteva linii din mijloc:

Este un început albastru
    În acest peisaj terestru
    Şi altul răzbunător
    Ca un deget tăiat

alitza

Romania, Romanian
    I agree with Parakseno. It can mean both things. In English, there are different words for different meanings in this case. If you say "I cut my finger" , a paper cut comes to mind. If you say " I severed my finger"...well, I think it's very clear what happened. In Romanian, you will use the same verb, but in the first case you'd use a preposition and in the latter, just the noun with a definite article:
    "M-am taiat la deget"
    "Mi-am taiat degetul"
    You could also say "Mi-am retezat degetul" but it's a much less used verb.
    Cheers.
    Alitza