un faire-valoir

nikki444

English, UK
Im having a bit of trouble translating "faire-valoir" in this context. I read this in a newspaper headline about Sarkozy after his appearance on "J'ai une question à vous poser."

Les citoyens quesstioneurs de TF1 frustrés: Au lendemain de l'émission, ils ont le sentiment d'avoir été les faire-valoir du candidat.

The citizens from the frustrated TF1 studio audience: The day after the program, they have the feeling they aided the development of the candidate.

• nils.pra

french france
    Bonjour,

"being used as foils" ?
    I'm really not sure. Trying to help , since I've been helped myself lots here.
    It's a suggestion, but better wait for the experts inputs ; )

Canard

English, USA
    Une autre idée pour toi :

The day after the broadcast, they felt like they were there simply to make the candidate look good.

"Foil" est un mot assez rare en anglais et ne s'utilise que dans des situations plus analytiques de la littérature ou quelque chose.

nils.pra

french france
    Thank you Duck ; )
    ...and sorry about the wrong suggestion : /
    I really wasn't sure.
    As you said, I've seen it used only about novels characters so far.
    I guess I won't see it used another way : )

Andromaque

French
    Comment traduire être le "faire valoir" de quelqu'un ? J'ai trouvé "foil" mais je ne l'ai jamais vu utilisé et je ne sais pas dans quel contexte on peut l'employer ?
    Merci de vos réponses.

Entrains

French
    "The backer of.." me semble assez générique mais il faut un contexte pour que backer n'ait pas de connotation financière.

< Previous | Next >