Un mot d'excuse

Vanessadufrat

Français
Hi!
Do you have a special word in English for the letter of apology written by a parent when a kid misses school, like because he is sick or because of a family emergency? Or because he missed the first hour of school because he overslept?
Thanks!

• Kajeetah

French - France
    Then would it be just "a note" or "a note from my/your parents"? Because when we say "mot d'excuse", it's specific to school, so the fact that the parents wrote it is implied. Does it work the same in English, in a school context?

For instance: "You didn't attend my class yesterday. Did you bring a note?"

radiok

UK English
    I'm late, but I was asking myself the same question in the other direction so may as well chip in. :)

In answer to your question, Kajeetah, yes, that's exactly what we say. Adding the "from your parents" is fine too, but it's not necessary.

So, my turn: I was recently watching a series with French subtitles that used "une excuse" instead of "un mot d'excuse". Is that common too?

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hi Radiok :)
    So, my turn: I was recently watching a series with French subtitles that used "une excuse" instead of "un mot d'excuse". Is that common too?
    I would say it isn't.
    We use either:
    "un mot d'excuse"
    or to make it shorter:
    "un mot"
    or possibly
    "un mot des parents"

"une excuse" is simply "an excuse".

< Previous | Next >