un outillage incontrôlable

< Previous | Next >

autodefa

English - Australian
Hi, I have this sentence critising the idea of appropriation as a means of creating a more equal system.

Le concept d'appropriation ne saurait s'appliquer à un outillage incontrôlable.

Is an "un outillage incontrôlable" a tool of control or rather a uncontrolable tool? I'm not to sure what to make of this sentence.

cheers

a

ps. here's some context.
Aussi longtemps qu'on attaquera le trust Ford pour la seule raison qu'il enrichit M. Ford, on entretiendra l'illusion que les usines Ford pourraient enrichir la colectivité. ...Le concept d'appropriation ne saurait s'appliquer à un outillage incontrôlable.

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Is an "un outillage incontrôlable" a tool of control or rather a uncontrolable tool?
    My guess is neither, but I'm not clear on this sentence, either. I'd take "incontrôlable" in the sense of "unverifiable". The sentence may mean something like, the Ford business is too diverse for anyone to be able to keep an eye on it. But that's just a wild guess. It would be nice to get a comment for a native speaker.

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    Understanding this, is also not obvious for a native speaker...

In this text, Illich says that industrial progress system, capitalist development system, is bad in itself. He says that the appropriation of factories and machines by the people would not change the fact that plants and machines lead to a world of servitude. The fact that the owner of the plant is Mr Ford or Mr People does not change the fact that factories and machines uncontrollably fabricate a world that is not suitable for human being.

< Previous | Next >