Un râpé de truffes blanches

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Christal2, May 17, 2007.

  1. Christal2 Senior Member

    I have to translate into English "un râpé de truffes blanches".
    Does "grated white truffles" make any sense?
  2. fleur de courgette Senior Member

    United States/English
    white truffle shavings or shaved white truffles.
  3. Christal2 Senior Member

    Well, a great thank you! I had never heard of this phrase before!
  4. archijacq Senior Member

    french France
    jolie traduction, mais cela correspond à "copeaux de truffes".
  5. Christal2 Senior Member

    Copeaux et râpé, est-ce que l'on est vraiment loin de l'idée? N'est-ce pas la même chose?
    Je suis un peu confuse car je ne vois pas vraiment ce que représente ce plat.
    Merci de votre aide.
  6. fleur de courgette Senior Member

    United States/English
    This is a dish or a garnish? I could only imagine oil barons eating a plate of shaved truffles!

    The difference between grated and shaved is an issue of thickness. Certainly there are very fine graters that make finely grated pieces, but in my experience as a gourmand I have only heard of shaved truffles (it specifies the fineness of the grating).
  7. Christal2 Senior Member

    It is a garnish from a dish called (you may sit down to appreciate) "Morue émiettée façon brandade, Minestrone de céleri-rave, jeunes pousses, râpé de truffes blanches" (!!!!!!!!!)
    Which I (poorly) tried to translate into something resembling:

    Cod fish

    Brandade of crumbled cod-fish

    Celeriac Minestrone

    Baby lettuce leaves

    White truffles shavings

    Barons have better behave themselves!!
  8. JackD Senior Member

    Français, Belgique
    Si cela peut vous aider, il existe une rape spéciale pour les truffes. Le fin du fin est de raper la truffe directement sur le plat, au moment de servir. Les Italiens rapent ainsi les truffes blanches sur un plat de pâtes.
  9. Christal2 Senior Member

    Oui, ça m'aide! Je ne connaissais pas cet ustensil.
  10. fleur de courgette Senior Member

    United States/English
    Miam, I'm hungry! Your translation is great. Celeriac Minestrone could also be phrased celery root minestrone. Jeunes pousses is called micro greens (about 1 cm in size) on the menus of top American restaurants, or larger leaves (up to 8 cm) are commonly called spring greens. I only say this to offer other options: I really do find that your translation is wonderful as it stands!
  11. Arrius

    Arrius Senior Member

    English, UK
    Shavings makes one think of wood and indigestible (to humans) cellulose. I think a British menu would say with a garniture of truffles or use the French garni de truffes, and take for granted that any self-respecting waiter or cook knows they have to be carefully sliced whether or not they are cooked with the food they garnish. The latter method being preferred by Larousse Gastronomique.
    A shaved truffle puts me in mind of a lump of this subterranean fungus sitting comfortably in a barber's chair (Monsieur désire que je lui fasse la barbe?)!
  12. Wodwo Senior Member

    London UK
    UK English
    I think 'truffle shavings' is fine - but no 's' on 'truffle'.
  13. Camis12 Senior Member

    England, English

    I agree, this absolutely does NOT make me think of wood shavings!!

Share This Page