Un repostaje de combustible

< Previous | Next >

deathrasher

spanish
Buenas,
estoy buscando la forma más formal de decir "repostaje" en inglés. Refiriéndose a repostaje de combustible.

"Refueling" sería correcto?

Gracias!

Last edited:
  • neal41

USA, English
    Si dices "I am going to refuel my car" o "My car needs refueling.", todo el mundo va a entender el significado y lo que has dicho no es incorrecto, pero no sería muy normal usar 'refuel' en relación con un coche. 'Refuel' se usa en relación con los aviones y posiblemente en relación con los camiones grandes. Yo diría, "I am going to buy gasoline/diesel."

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    También depende de tu país. No has explicado en tu perfil de dónde eres, pero en BrE diría 'I'm going to put petrol in the car', o 'going to fill the car up.'

deathrasher

spanish
    Simplemente necesito una palabra que haga referencia a ese acto, el nombre "repostaje", para utilizarla como título. De ahí que no acabe de encontrarla, porque solo encuentro frases hechas.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    El problema es que en inglés no es de costumbre usar el sustantivo. Usamos un verbo que describe la acción.

rajulbat

English - United States (Houston)
    OP says they are looking for a formal noun that refers to refueling "to use as a title." Title of what? A book? If Do they mean, for example, a sign that indicates the place where customers should realizar repostaje de combustible?, then "Fill Station" is probably the best choice.

(Edited at 1225 CST to cross out inaccurate suggestion)

Last edited:

neal41

USA, English
    OP says they are looking for a formal noun that refers to refueling "to use as a title." Title of what? A book? If they mean, for example, a sign that indicates the place where customers should realizar repostaje de combustible, then "Fill Station" is probably the best choice.
    Does anyone say 'fill station'? I would say 'filling station' or 'service station'.

rajulbat

Does anyone say 'fill station'? I would say 'filling station' or 'service station'.
    Found 472 sentences matching phrase "fill station" (granted, some of these are hits for "filling station.") But yes, I think you can find someone who says it. You're probably right.

More important at present, though, is finding out what, exactly, OP is trying to label. We have lots of names for gas stations.

deathrasher

spanish
    "Filling Station" entiendo que es un lugar no? Necesito el nombre de la acción. Es para usar como titulo de una sección "Repostajes".

Lo único que encuentro similar , como comenté antes, es "Refueling" pero como decís no se si si se utiliza únicamente para aviones y similares.

rajulbat

De acuerdo. Deathrasher, si buscas un título apropiado, por favor dinos la primera oración o el primer párrafo del texto.
    Corrections, as requested in sign-off.

Necesito el nombre de la acción. Es para usar como titulo de una sección "Repostajes". ... "Refueling" pero como decís no se si si se utiliza únicamente para aviones y similares.
    Refueling applies to all types of fuel and all types of vehicles. You can refuel an airplane, a motorcyle, a go-cart, etc.
    In this document we find the following, which I use as an example here in the absence of a concrete example from OP:

11. REPOSTAJES Y MANIPULACIONES DE CARBURANTE Los repostajes se realizarán en la zona de trabajo en la parte frontal de la carpa individual de cada equipo. Se realizará con el motor parado y el piloto no deberá estar montado en la moto. Todo repostaje fuera de esta zona será sancionado.

I would translate this heading as: Refueling and Fuel Handling

I would not alter the translation depending on the thing being refueled. As you can see, in this example we are talking not about airplanes but motorcycles.

The English translation published by the company (which I disapprove insofar as it uses "refuel" as an action, instead of "refueling") says:
    11 REFUEL AND FUEL HANDLING Refuel must be carried out in the working area at the front part of each team tent. It will be done with the engine switched off and the rider off the bike. Refueling will be done directly from the can to the bike.

Note, however, despite my disapproval, that "Refuel" is recognized as a noun: "An act or instance of refilling with fuel." (By some but not others: Definition of REFUEL refuel verb - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com )

Last edited:

neal41

USA, English
    En este contexto "Refueling and Fuel Handling" es completamente apropiado. Para mí 'Refuel' no suena natural. Otra posibilidad sería "Refuel and handle fuel". La forma con gerundios es mejor.

deathrasher

spanish
    11. REPOSTAJES Y MANIPULACIONES DE CARBURANTE Los repostajes se realizarán en la zona de trabajo en la parte frontal de la carpa individual de cada equipo. Se realizará con el motor parado y el piloto no deberá estar montado en la moto. Todo repostaje fuera de esta zona será sancionado.

I would translate this heading as: Refueling and Fuel Handling

I would not alter the translation depending on the thing being refueled. As you can see, in this example we are talking not about airplanes but motorcycles.
    Si, podría ser similar a esto a lo que me refiero. Gracias!

Otra duda, por lo que he visto "Refuelling" con doble LL sería más apropiado para ingles británico?

neal41

USA, English
    Cada día se aprende algo. Muy interesante este comentario de
    Fuelling vs. Fueling.

In American English, the verb fuel is inflected fueled and fueling—with one l. In all other main varieties of English, it becomes fuelled and fuelling—with two l‘s. The spelling difference extends to refuel, which makes refueled and refueling in American English and refuelled and refuelling everywhere else. It likewise extends to other, rarer derivatives such as fueler/fueller. Fuel is one of a large group of l-ending verbs whose inflected forms have lost the second l in American English. This change has happened in at least two waves, with some of the verbs losing the extra l in the early decades of the 20th century(e.g., travel, label), and many others dropping the l only over the last few decades (e.g., cancel, marshal). The story with fuel is a little different, because it was rare as a verb until the 20th century (it did exist as a verb earlier, but was rare and mostly figurative until20th-century technology increased its usefulness). Outside the U.S., meanwhile, the American forms have not caught on much; the two-l forms still prevail by a large margin in the U.K., Ireland, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand, while in 2013 Canadian news articles the U.S. forms appear about a quarter of the time.

< Previous | Next >