un souffle généreux

girlymonkey

English- Scotland
I am translating some material for a webiste about an orchestra, and this phrase has stumped me. Can anyone help please?
Here is the full sentence:

Point de grandiloquence dans les prestations de ce soir, une expression émotive jointe à un souffle généreux, ont mis en exergue des « géants ” tels que Bach et Rossini

• snarkhunter

French - France
    Hello,

The general idea here is that of a generous spirit provided by the orchestra.
    One could also consider this some kind of playword in case wind instruments should be predominant in the score which was played, but this is pure speculation from me.

saylavee

French - France
    I guess the writer makes an opposition between the emotion and the way it is executed. "Expression émotive" would be the quality of the emotions, and "souffle" how it is played - generously.
    My very personal opinion is that it is non sense windy ;) sentences that French art critics are used to write and that I stop reading after 10 words thinking "again this useless bullsh*t".

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    My very personal opinion is that it is non sense windy ;) sentences that French art critics are used to write and that I stop reading after 10 words thinking "again this useless bullsh*t".
    :D

English-language critics have been known to do the same thing.

girlymonkey

English- Scotland
    Thanks folks. Yes, there is a lot of waffly nonsense in this piece! Not my style, but I will try to reproduce as best I can!

< Previous | Next >