una dispersione nella dimensione astratta

< Previous | Next >

Quadruploni

USA, English
In a recent essay about the German artist Georg Baselitz, a curator claims that the artist's portraits

condensano ed evidenziano molte delle tematiche e delle problematiche fondamentali della sua opera: la memoria e le sue incongruenze, il trascorrere del tempo storico ed esistenziale, la rielaborazione dei soggetti classici della storia dell’arte occidentale e il capovolgimento delle immagini verso un annientamento del loro significato narrativo o simbolico e una dispersione nella dimensione astratta in favore di un’autonomia del processo pittorico​

So far I've translated this as

encapsulate and highlight many of the themes and issues fundamental to his work: memory and its incongruities, the passage of historical and existential time, the reworking of traditional subjects in the history of Western art, the inversion of images with the object of destroying their narrative or symbolic meaning, and a dispersion in the abstract dimension in favor of the autonomy of the painterly process​

But the passage about a "dispersion" doesn't at all convince me. Does anybody have any idea, then, what "dispersione" could mean in this context?

It may help to know that Baselitz is famous for works in which the subject is literally painted upside down, and that, while his images are decidedly not realistic (he is often called a Neo-Expressionist), he is a figurative rather than an abstract artist.

• Cheron

UK
    English UK
    Hi Quadruploni,

I think you have it, the meaning is conveyed as in the original.
    I think "dispersion" is a really interesting word because can be applied to many disciplines such as art, science and education, and it fits in very well into the sentence. Other words could also be used, such as "disbandment" or "diffusion".

Quadruploni

USA, English
    Thanks, Cheron. I'm still confused about what process or phenomenon "dispersion" describes in the context, and how it could coherently be opposed to "the autonomy of the painterly process," but I'm glad to know the translation will make sense to some readers!

Cheron

UK
    English UK
    Thanks, Cheron. I'm still confused about what process or phenomenon "dispersion" describes in the context, and how it could coherently be opposed to "the autonomy of the painterly process," but I'm glad to know the translation will make sense to some readers!
    What I think it means is like a "breakout" or "foray" into the abstract dimension....I think :)

Quadruploni

USA, English
    Thanks again. How would that work with "in favore di...," though? Given how the sentence concludes, and what else I know about the artist, I can't help thinking that "dispersione" must somehow refer to a choice to not go too far into the abstract dimension... But then I can't see how the sentence says that, either!

< Previous | Next >