Una domenica "raccolta"

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by larahill76, May 31, 2006.

1. larahill76 Member

Albuquerque
    English U.K.
    Hi to all,

I'm having doubts about the translation of "raccolta" within the following context:

Un paesaggio insolito sorprese la gente al mattino: i tetti delle case, le strade, la campagna, gli alberi erano coperti da un manto bianco. Dappertutto regnava un profondo silenzio non interrotto dai rintocchi delle campane annuncianti l’ora del “Padre Nostro”. […] Si prospettava una domenica diversa dalle altre, forse più allegra, più intima, più raccolta: la novità della neve che si vede molto raramente era accolta dalla gente con particolare gaudio...

Does "raccolta" here mean "cosy" or "snug"? It's a tough one, as the Sunday in question is the day a huge earthquake devastated a huge part of Sicily in 1968.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. winnie

winnie Senior Member

italy, italian
    In my opinion, here, 'raccolta' is an antonym of 'dispersive/distacting'.

3. larahill76 Member

Albuquerque
    English U.K.
    Thanks Winnie! So something like that would bring/draw people closer together ? It's maybe a bit long, but I just can't think of anything shorter that is fitting.

4. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    I agree with Winnie, the author wants to convey the idea that people were going to gather around and spend a sunday all together, hence the use of the word "intima".

5. larahill76 Member

Albuquerque
    English U.K.
    Thanks! That's why I was thinking along the lines of "snug" or "cosy", as that's normally how we feel when it's snowing outside and we're on the inside.

6. Saritacbx Member

Turin, Italy
    Italian, Italy
    I don't know if this help, but "raccolta" has in some way a religious meaning, it comes from "raccoglimento" = meditation (in this dictionary) and also composure (compostezza).
    I'm sorry but I can't find the proper english translation for the adj.

7. larahill76 Member

Albuquerque
    English U.K.
    Thank you. I saw something similar in my dictionary, too - something like "reflection". Do you think that here it could mean that Sunday would be a day for (more) reflection? I like that because it ties in with the fact that soon after the earthquake will strike... but I don't know if it's the right translation.

8. Saritacbx Member

Turin, Italy
    Italian, Italy
    I would go for an adj that conveys the idea of reflection, just to give you a further example, we use "raccolta/o" to describe somebody concentrated in a prayer.

I hope I'm not confusing you, I'm trying to explain the idea in my best english...

9. larahill76 Member

Albuquerque
    English U.K.
    Potrei anche scrivere in italiano, però... I think your English is just fine!
    I think I'll go for something like "more meditative", ma non mi convince. The meaning is right, but it looks odd - I'll get used to it...
    Thank you!