Una giuria selezionata assegnerà i seguenti premi

jual

Italy-Italian
[ITA] - Ciao a tutti, devo tradurre questa frase, nel contesto di un regolamento per un film festival:
"Una giuria selezionata assegnerà i seguenti premi: ....."
Letteralmente direi:
"A jury panel will assign the following awards: ..."
Ma ho dei dubbi...si dice "assign an award"?
E' meglio usare "awards" o "prizes" (si tratta di un premio in denaro)?
Grazie!

[ENG] - Hello everyone, I need to translate this sentence for the regulation of a film festival:
"Una giuria selezionata assegnerà i seguenti premi: ....."
Translating literally I would say:
"A jury panel will assign the following awards: ..."
But I have some doubts...is it right to say "to assign an award"?
Is it better to use "awards" or "prizes" (the winners are given money)?
Thank you!

• sundreez

"assign an award" does not sound right to me, I prefer "A jury panel will award the following prizes".

Definition of assign:
    1. (v. t.) To fix, specify, select, or designate; to point out authoritatively or exactly; as, to assign a limit; to assign counsel for a prisoner; to assign a day for trial.
    2. (v.) A thing pertaining or belonging to something else; an appurtenance.
    3. (v. t.) To transfer, or make over to another, esp. to transfer to, and vest in, certain persons, called assignees, for the benefit of creditors.
    4. (v. t.) To appoint; to allot; to apportion; to make over.
    5. (n.) A person to whom property or an interest is transferred; as, a deed to a man and his heirs and assigns.
    6. (v. i.) To transfer or pass over property to another, whether for the benefit of the assignee or of the assignor's creditors, or in furtherance of some trust.
    None of these really fit the meaning you are attempting to convey.

Josseppe

American English
    Is this a law jury in a court? I find it strange to read about a jury assigning prizes per say. Maybe it should be translated as "compensations" or "restitutions" in a case involving monetary disputes.

Einstein

UK, English
    You can award or assign prizes.
    You can assign awards.

In the context of a film festival awards is better than prizes because the prestige and recognition are the important thing.
    Why has no one translated selezionata? Selected jury sounds fine to me.

So:
    A selected jury will assign the following awards.

sundreez

You can assign awards.

In the context of a film festival awards is better than prizes because the prestige and recognition are the important thing.

So:

I think all juries are selected and the word "assigned" is something I connect to being given work to do, not an award. Such as "The student was assigned homework". Just my opinion.

Einstein

UK, English
    I think all juries are selected and the word "assigned" is something I connect to being given work to do, not an award. Such as "The student was assigned homework". Just my opinion.
    You can have juries made up of people who are considered particularly qualified to take part; I'd call these selected. I'm sure that's the meaning of selezionata in Italian. For other competitions you could have a jury consisting of the first 7, 10, 12 etc people who came forward.
    It is rather superfluous to specify selected in the case of a film festival, I agree, but as it's said in Italian why not translate it?

It may be an AE/BE difference, but assigning an award sounds OK to me... but there may be alternatives.

Einstein

UK, English
    Just to complicate things, I see that the Academy Awards always seem to be presented.
    Yes, you're right. But presentation is the ceremony when they already know who is going to get the awards; assignment is when they decide who should receive them... I think!:confused:

jual

Italy-Italian
    You can assign awards.

So:

So you think that "award" conveys better the idea of prestige, while "prize" is more about the money, right?
    Well, here the winners are given money, but it's also true that the prestige is important, so I'm not sure which one is better...

Thank you all for your help!