Una parte y otra

Malbecblend

English (United States)
In an article relating the story of Casapueblo in Uruguay, there is this:

De hecho, Pàez Vilaró le fue agregando una parte y otra y así se fue extendiendo, de forma artesanal, hasta llegar a lo que es hoy.

“one part and another” sounds like a literal translation. Is there another, perhaps more natural, translation?

• Malbecblend

English (United States)
    Hola:

¿Sonaría natural decir added part after part?
    After reviewing the input, thinking some more, and considering the context of this particular text, I think it would sound more natural to say this: (gradually) added one section after another.

OtroLencho

English - Western US
    After reviewing the input, thinking some more, and considering the context of this particular text, I think it would sound more natural to say this: (gradually) added one section after another.
    Section? From the provided context, I had no idea what things are being added. Is this a construction project we're talking about?

franzjekill

Mod E/S
    Español rioplatense
    Is this a construction project we're talking about?
    It's a strange and eclectic private house by the sea, with plenty of rooms and suites (nearly one hundred) that were added on to the building for over four decades, but it's not under construction anymore (his owner -Paéz Vilaró- passed away some years ago).
    casapueblo.jpg