Una persona bizzarra in tutti i suoi 160 cm.

< Previous | Next >

riso76

Italian
Ciao a tutti,
dovrei tradurre questa frase.

Seduto al tavolo, vi era un uomo giovane e bizzarro in tutti i suoi 160 cm (5ft 2in).

Il contesto è il seguente:

Ci troviamo in un bar che frequentiamo spesso ed incontriamo per la prima volta una persona, in questo caso un uomo. La cosa che ci colpisce subito è il suo aspetto bizzarro. Ad esempio il suo modo di vestirsi. Quindi se lo dovessimo descrivere a qualcuno che non lo ha mai conosciuto, potremmo dire proprio la frase che ho scritto sopra. Infatti con "bizzarro in tutti i suoi 160 cm" si intende una persona che da capo a piedi trasudava/manifestava la sua bizzarria.

Sat at the table, there was a young and queer man in all his 5 feet and 2 inches. Could this be a good translation?

Thank you very much everyone.

Last edited:
  • riso76

Italian
    Grazie mille Paul.
    Secondo te, è più corretto scrivere 5ft 2in o five feet two inches. Stiamo parlando di un testo formale.

Grazie mille ancora

rrose17

Canada, English
    Sitting at the table was a very strange young man, all five feet two of him.
    I'm really not sure written this way if it should be all five foot two or all five feet two. You almost always write five foot two but with the word "all" before I'm inclined to say "feet" but not sure why...
    Maybe because you say "He's five foot two" or "He's five feet two inches tall".

Last edited:

riso76

Italian
    Sitting at the table was a very strange young man, all five feet two of him.
    I'm really not sure written this way if it should be all five foot two or all five feet two. You almost always write five foot two but with the word "all" before I'm inclined to say "feet" but not sure why...
    Maybe because you say "He's five foot two" or "He's five feet two inches tall".
    First of all, thank you very much rrose. You're always very helpful.
    Do you think I could also write this sentence? Sat at the table there was a young and very queer man, all five feet two of him.
    Thank you again rrose.

Last edited:
    Sto pensando: "Eyes of blue, 5ft 2, (that's five foot two) has anybody seen my gal?" (The lyric of the song.) Personally, I wouldn't say "queer". It's possibly offensive. I would probably stick to "strange" - but -at my age- who knows?

rrose17

Canada, English
    First of all, thank you very much rrose. You're always very helpful.
    Do you think I could also write this sentence? Sat at the table there was a young and very queer man, all five feet two of him.
    Thank you again rrose.
    You're very kind but no, sorry, your sentence doesn't work. You can't start a sentence with "Sat at a table..." You can say "Seated at a table..." and I agree with John about avoiding the word queer.

riso76

Italian
    You're very kind but no, sorry, your sentence doesn't work. You can't start a sentence with "Sat at a table..." You can say "Seated at a table..." and I agree with John about avoiding the word queer.
    Can I ask you why sat is totally wrong?

Thank you very much again rrose and everyone else who answered me.

Last edited by a moderator:

rrose17

Canada, English
    I'm no expert but I believe you should use the past participle.
    He sits, he sat, he was seated.

riso76

Italian
    So Sat at table there was a man (wrong) Sitting at the table there was a man (correct).

However, isn't sat the past participle of sit. Isn't sit, sat, sat?

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Mod note:

Please remember that this is a translation forum. If you still have doubts about the translation of the original sentence you posted, feel free to carry on here. If your doubts are all regarding English, and new sentences, please open a new thread in the English Only forum.

riso76

Italian
    Sorry Tegs, but I wrote the sentence ( Hung..) because I thought it could help also others. I know it's different from the one of sat, but I think the principle is the same.

However, I apologize.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    No problem, your doubt is clearly about a construction in English though. Please post it in the English Only forum (without referencing any Italian). Your new thread has been deleted for this reason.

tsoapm

English (England)
    May I ask something which I've been wondering about since I saw the OP? To my mind, talking about someone's height when they're actually sitting down is a bit funny: obviously your height doesn't alter when you sit down, but it's rather less in the forefront. Does this apply in the Italian too? Perhaps, I was thinking, the fact that there's a frase fatta involved mitigates this.

Mary49

Italian
    May I ask something which I've been wondering about since I saw the OP? To my mind, talking about someone's height when they're actually sitting down is a bit funny: obviously your height doesn't alter when you sit down, but it's rather less in the forefront. Does this apply in the Italian too? Perhaps, I was thinking, the fact that there's a frase fatta involved mitigates this.
    Hi Mark, you're right. From the very start I thought that the sentence was a bit odd; according to my personal opinion and language style, I wouldn't say, for example, "Quella ragazza è carina in tutto il suo metro e settanta", but I'd say "Quella ragazza è carina dalla testa ai piedi".

riso76

Italian
    Hi Mark, you're right. From the very start I thought that the sentence was a bit odd; according to my personal opinion and language style, I wouldn't say, for example, "Quella ragazza è carina in tutto il suo metro e settanta", but I'd say "Quella ragazza è carina dalla testa ai piedi".
    I agree a hundred per cent with the fact that you'd say "Quella ragazza è carina dalla testa ai piedi", but, if you want to mention also the height of a person, I guess you've to write the sentence I wrote in the first post.
    If we're writing a book and the narrator is omniscent, he already knows the height of the person even if he/she's sitting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Pietruzzo

Italian
    Maybe I'm completely out of track but I thought there was quite a bit of irony in the sentence "tutti i suoi 160cm". What I understand reading the OP sentence is "He was strange and.. not very tall". So, "dalla testa ai piedi" wouldn't render the meaning of the original Italian.

riso76

Italian
    Maybe I'm completely out of track but I thought there was quite a bit of irony in the sentence "tutti i suoi 160cm". What I understand reading the OP sentence is "He was strange and.. not very tall". So, "dalla testa ai piedi" wouldn't render the meaning of the original Italian.
    Yes absolutely Pietruzzo. The sentence meaning is exactly what you wrote. That man was strange and short.

tsoapm

English (England)
    if you want to mention also the height of a person I guess that's the only way you can do it with that kind of sentence.
    I don't believe there's any requirement for an author to indicate the height of a character in the first sentence that describes them. :) They could, if they so chose, mention it when they stand up, but perhaps in this case they deliberately chose not to.

riso76

Italian
    I don't believe there's any requirement for an author to indicate the height of a character in the first sentence that describes them. :) They could, if they so chose, mention it when they stand up, but perhaps in this case they deliberately chose not to.
    I understand what you're saying Mark, but, even though I agree with you that there's no requirement, I guess it's not wrong to describe the height in the first sentence. As I wrote before, if we're talking about a omniscent narrator, I guess he/she can describe the height even if the person is sitting.:)

Last edited:

curiosone

AmE - hillbilly ;)
    Maybe it's because I am 5'2", but since nobody else has mentioned it, I'd like to point that 160 cm is TALLER than 5'2" (which corresponds to 158 cm). Just sayin'....

< Previous | Next >