una relíquia de la naturaleza

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Grey Fox, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Senior Member

Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    Hi folks! I'm having difficulty with this, it's a fairly airy-fairy marketing description of a tourist attraction, a road that links various lakes. To my ear, at least in English, it sounds incongruous. Relics to my mind are remains of man-made artefacts from bygone times, not nature.

Can anyone shed any light from the point of view of the way the native Spanish-speaking reader understands this, please?

Thanks a lot!

2. Jeromed Banned

USA, English
    In English relic can mean memento, just as it does, in this context, in Spanish.

reliquia.
    (Del lat. reliquĭae).

1. f. Residuo que queda de un todo. U. m. en pl.
    4. f. Vestigio de cosas pasadas.
    6. f. Objeto o prenda con valor sentimental, generalmente por haber pertenecido a una persona querida. (DRAE)

rel·ic
    –noun 1.a surviving memorial of something past.
    2.an object having interest by reason of its age or its association with the past: a museum of historic relics.
    3.a surviving trace of something: a custom that is a relic of paganism.
    4.something kept in remembrance; souvenir; memento. (Dictionary.com)

relic
    1. Something that has survived the passage of time, especially an object or custom whose original culture has disappeared: "Corporal punishment was a relic of barbarism" (Cyril Connolly).
    2. Something cherished for its age or historic interest.
    3. An object kept for its association with the past; a memento. (Dictionary.com)

3. ludovic111

ludovic111 Banned

Live from México-español/English
    I agree. It can be relic, or any of the other terms/expressions mentioned above.

From the WordReference Supplement © 2007 WordReference.com:
    relic:
    Compound Forms:
    relic of the past reliquia del pasado

4. rafajuntoalmar

rafajuntoalmar Senior Member

Barcelooooonaaaa
    Castellano (tanto argentino como peninsu
    Hi,

I am native from Argentina and what "reliquia de la naturaleza" means in this context is

"4. f. Vestigio de cosas pasadas" (as suggested by Jeromed).

Should you want an English translation of it, you could use something like "a vestige of nature's bygone times" (if this phrase is correct).

Saludos,

PD. By the way, I like your nick, I used to study grey foxes some years ago.

5. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Senior Member

Argentine Patagonia
    UK - English
    Thanks for the indications. My main problem is the wordiness of any phrase in English that expresses the meaning and sounds reasonably coherent. As ever I'm up against a strict character limit.

Glad you like my avatar, rafa (yours is a lovely view, too!) - it's a pic I took when cycling down towards the border with Chile, and the grader machine had recently passed, turning over a dead ñandú (perhaps it killed it as it ploughed up the pebble-covered unmade road). It was hard going on a laden bike and the fox was so absorbed in sniffing around, he didn't react to my stopping and creeping closer to snap him! Ha! ha! ha! I've just thought, this photo is a "relic of nature" from that trip! :)