BigBug

spanish Spain
Good afternoon,

Just don't know how to translate "una vez tras otra"

The contest: "He sido rechazada una vez tras otra" "I have been refused ...."

Thank you.

• JBarDom

Spanish-Mexico
    I suggest using rejected instead of refused, and "una vez tras otra" would be once and again....

Greetings

P.S. seems that Alacant and I were both typing in the message at the same time. I agree with his comments, although I still adhere to once and again.

Last edited:

BigBug

spanish Spain
    What are the differences between rejected and refused? What it's been refused is someboy's help (someone wants to help but the other person refuses/rejects his help)

Thanks!!

alacant

England, english
    I suggest using rejected instead of refused, and "una vez tras otra" would be once and again....

Greetings

P.S. seems that Alacant and I were both typing in the message at the same time. I agree with his comments, although I still adhere to once and again.
    Once and again may be the usage on your side of the pond, but doesn't sound right in BE.

Saludos, ala

BigBug

spanish Spain
    Really? once and again makes sense to me... but now I'm confussed about the use of rejected or refused...
    Thanks again!!

BigBug

spanish Spain
    :D that's why it makes sense to me, because it is literal. Of course I trust you, alacant and will write time after time. Thanks!!!!

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    También, y aún más literal: one time after another.
    Para me gusto valen todas las versiones de arriba. También time and again.

Y ahora que lo explicas, "refused" sí está bien. I was refused help.
    La frase que pusiste, sin más, la entendí como lo hizo la alacant, "rejected".

Last edited:

Adolfo Afogutu

Español
    This thread rings a bell in my head. Many of you may remember a song called “Time after time”. It was a lovely American classic from the late 80’s. I think it is a good example of usage: she was going to be there for him, no matter what, time after time.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >