unable to accept presents tainted (stained) with sin

gettare

Banned
English
Buonasera,

The Madonna of Mount Carmel, unable to accept presents (that are) tainted (stained) with sin, chose to send a message to be remembered.

La Madonna di Monte Carmelo, incapace per accettare i regali si sono macchiato col peccato, scelse per inviare un messaggio di essere ricordato.

Grazie mille

• minoski

Italian
    La madonna di Monte Carmelo, impossibilitata ad accettare regali/doni macchiati dal peccato, decise di mandare un messaggio che non sarebbe stato dimenticato (/di quelli che non si dimenticano - more colloquial).
    c.

EDIT: Sorry! Ciao Alan! :)

gettare

Banned
    English
    Cioa Minoski and Alan,

Below is what I will use, and it's perfect, thankyou. (But I have an embarrassing question to ask you: what is "impossibilitata"? Clearly it is an improvement of "incapace", but I never saw such a word construction before. Grazie)

La madonna di Monte Carmelo, impossibilitata ad accettare doni macchiati dal peccato, decise di mandare un messaggio che non sarebbe stato dimenticato.

Grazie

minoski

Italian
    "Incapace" means "not able/incapable of", while "impossibilitata" conveys an idea of "not being allowed" (by someone or something, in this case I'd guess by ethics/religion)... If that's make any sense in English!
    :)
    c.

stella_maris_74

Mod About Chocolate
    Italian - Italy
    Anche: doni contaminati dal peccato.
    Le persone sono macchiate dal peccato / si macchiano di un peccato, non gli oggetti :)

dani

miri

Italy/Italian
    Couldn't "non potendo accettare" be used instead of "impossibilitata" or "incapace"?

gettare

Banned
    English
    Miri,
    Let me try to clarify the situartion. In my story a "miracle " has taken place in that an envelope full of stolen money is put into the hand of a statue of the Madonna during her feast day. The envelope "si accese in un grande bouquet di fiamme e scomparve in una nuvola di fumo nero". IN tha next paragraph I am telling why she did it. The explanation so far reads: "Chiaramente, la Madonna di Monte Carmelo, impossibilitata ad accettare doni contaminati dal peccato, decise di mandare un messaggio che non sarebbe stato dimenticato." My question is: Does "non potendo accettare" do a better job than "possibilitata" ( a word which sounds liek a baby saying thank you to somebody)in this clarified (hopefully) context? Grazie

miri

Italy/Italian
    Oh, what a nice story, gettare!
    In the light of it, I must say I'd rule out "incapace" (unable to). "Impossibilitata" sounds kind of wierd too (as if some sort of handicap prevented her from accepting). "Non potendo accettare" makes the sentence sound more fluent and the meaning is preserved: She couldn't accept the gifts because they were tainted.

And what about "memorabile", instead of "che non sarebbe stato dimenticato"?

< Previous | Next >