unacceptable - rude - inappropriate

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Little Ana, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Little Ana New Member

Spanish
    I would like to understand why one of these words (unacceptable - rude - inappropriate) is wrong in the following sentence:

"Swearing in certain situations is completely unacceptable/rude/inappropriate"

All of them are adjectives and sound good for me in the sentence. Is there any grammar rule I am not taking account? Thanks in advance.

2. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I think the wrong one is rude, because of the word completely before it. Unacceptable and innapropriate are absolute adjectives which go nicely with completely, but rude would be better alone, or with very before it.
    To give a slightly clearer example, we say that something is very big:tick: or absolutely enormous:tick:. We wouldn't say that it's absolutely big:cross: or very enormous.:cross:

3. Little Ana New Member

Spanish
    Thank you very much! I didn't know anything about "absolute adjectives" (adjectives that are absolute and cannot be compared). If I understood correctly, the key in this case is "completely", because it is a non gradable or an absolute adverb, the next word has to be an absolute adjective. Is this OK?

4. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Yes, that's right. The key is in completely.There can be different grades of rudeness, but if something is unacceptable, it's unacceptable, full stop.

5. Little Ana New Member

Spanish
    Thank you very much!!

6. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Hi!
    There could be another explanation: swearing, by definition, is always rude. The sentence has the adverbial phrase 'in certain situations' so the relevant adjectives must be ones that doesn't apply in all situations, i.e. unacceptable and inappropriate, since it may be considered acceptable or appropriate to swear under certain circumstances.

7. Little Ana New Member

Spanish
    Thanks Wandering_JJ!