... unaware of the 'ethical doubts' recently cast ....

< Previous | Next >

ajaaja

Korean
I ran into this sentence while I am reading a book.

For you information, one woman and one guy encountered at the airplane. They're stranger to each other and happended to begin talk, and the woman has an arrival angst.

'Mind you, it's not a bad way to go, very quick, especially if we hit land and you're sitting in the front. I had an uncle who died in a plane crash once. Has anyone you know ever died like that?'

They hadn't, but I had no time to answer for a stewardess arrived and (unaware of the ethical doubts recently cast on her employers) offered us lunch. I requested a glass of orange juice and was going to decline a plate of pale sandwiches ~~~~~~.

What I can't understand is the underlined sentence. why does he think ethical doubts? Is there any clues?

• Copyright

American English
    We really can't tell you without knowing what the doubts are -- I imagine that they've either been touched on somewhere else or they are commonly known because of press coverage. But in this quotation, they're unknown.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Had the two people been saying that the airlines did not pay proper attention to the safety of the planes, or make some other criticism of the airlines?

Copyright

American English
    My first thought upon seeing "(unaware of the ethical doubts recently cast on her employers) offered us lunch" and "was going to decline a plate of pale sandwiches" was that, unbeknownst to the flight attendant, the airline has been accused of buying horsemeat. :) It does seem to be a food-related reference in some form.

< Previous | Next >