Unconscious bias and pre-existing networks

< Previous | Next >

aliciamonpul

Spanish
Hi everyone!

I am translating content related to discrimination and harassment at work. I don´t get to find the right words in Spanish to translate these two concepts and I wonder if you can help me with it. To give you some context, this is the text:

Discrimination and harassment create a hostile environment, promote absenteeism, create health problems for victims as well as damage the company and team’s performance. During the recruitment or promotion process, unconscious bias and pre-existing networks can conspire to keep minority groups out.

Many thanks in advance!

• Masood

British English
    This is just a guess:
    Unconscious bias... favouring a particular candidate without realising it (normally without reasonable justification).
    Pre-existing networks...the people that you currently work with, the office culture and how they socially interact.

Sorry I can't offer suitable translations.

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    Durante el proceso (...) sesgos inconscientes y la cultura organizativa prexistente pueden conjurarse para excluir a grupos minoritarios....

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    Otra posibilidad,

Durante los procesos de contratación y promoción, tanto sesgos no conscientes como [las características de] el propio entorno laboral pueden contribuir en la exclusión de grupos minoritarios.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    I would understand pre-existing networks to include the social, family, educational and other connections of people outside the office as well as within the office culture, since they are talking about who does and doesn't get hired, as well as promoted. Las conexiones - amigos y familiares que se conocen, los que van a la misma iglesia, estudiaban en las mismas escuelas, etc.

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    I would understand pre-existing networks to include the social, family, educational and other connections of people outside the office as well as within the office culture
    Thanks, LVRBC! Maybe then "(las características del propio) entorno/contexto sociocultural"?

Aguas Claras

UK English
    "Unconscious bias" is usually translated as "sesgos implícitos" . Si miras la definición de "sesgo implícito" en Google, verás que corresponde y, además, está utilizado con frecuencia en documentación sobre el buen gobierno corporativo.

aliciamonpul

Spanish
    Thank you again for your answers!! I went for "sesgo implícito" and then "entorno sociolaboral", since I believe that in this context "pre-existing networks" relates to the work environment and culture.

Many many thanks!!

< Previous | Next >