under stars tossed absurdly across the sky like birdseed

xiaotu666

Mandarin
It had been days since Phil and his two oldest friends drunkenly fished from the middle of the great lake for fat trout , the sweet orange flesh of which tasted best grilled over charcoal , under stars tossed absurdly across the sky like birdseed .
Days since Phil’s boat ran out of gas, stranding him and his friends during this, their annual fishing trip.

< Excessive quotation removed. Cagey, moderator >

Above is the original text. I have typed the word "toss" in bold. In fact, the first paragraph really confuses me. Could you please help me understand the meaning of the word "toss" and the sentence it is in?

Source: Man V. Nature by Diane Cook
added by Cagey, moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The trout tasted best grilled over charcoal under a starry sky. The stars looked as if they had been scattered across the sky like a handful of birdseed scattered at random [by some giant?].

xiaotu666

Mandarin
    The trout tasted best grilled over charcoal under a starry sky. The stars looked as if they had been scattered across the sky like a handful of birdseed scattered at random [by some giant?].
    Thank you! but can the sentence be interpreted in another way: Phil and his two oldest friends drunkenly fished from the middle of the great lake for fat trout under a starry sky. can I view "the sweet orange flesh of which tasted best grilled over charcoal" as a non-restrictive attributive clause?

Chasint

English - England
    Phil fished under stars tossed absurdly across the sky.

The emphasised clause is adverbial. It modifies 'fished'.