under the veil

< Previous | Next >

Nadine Humphrey

Persian
I am writing a chapter about suppression of women in Iran focusing on the compulsory veil. The chapter contains information on the number of women arrested for not observing the mandatory veil and statements and threats made by government officials in this regard.
The title I have in mind for this chapter is: Suppression of women under the veil of the veil
Is the title correct or ridiculous??

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Opression" is probably the word you need.

What do you mean to imply with "under the veil of the veil"? I don't think the meaning is clear. I woould have thought that the opression is undisguised and overt.

Nadine Humphrey

Persian
    Thanks. I think I would rather go with "oppression", too.
    But my question is about "under the veil" of the veil.
    I want to play with words.
    Instead of saying under the pretext of imposing the compulsory veil, I want to say "under the veil of the veil"
    Because the Iranian regime is depriving women of all their human rights and repressing the entire society through the campaigns for enforcement of the compulsory veil.

suzi br

English / England
    I don’t think it works very well. “Under the veil” usually means “hidden” or disguised. Do you really think the oppression of women in Iran is hidden? (This is what Velisarius is asking too). Surely the actual veil compulsion is only one of a myriad ways in which women in Iran are oppressed?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I realise that you want to play with words. I'm not sure that it works though. So you mean to imply that the religious aspect is just an excuse and the opression is political in nature?

"Under the veil" doesn't suggest to me "under the pretext of".

Edit: I like F-f's suggestion

Nadine Humphrey

Persian
    Well, thanks so much for your helpful replies. Now, I understand that the intended metaphor in my mind doesn't work to express the meaning I intend to convey.
    Actually, the regime is hiding and justifying everything it does against women and the entire nation with this "compulsory veiling" requirement. Officials say, "The issue of Hijab is a very crucial issue tied to our religion, politics and independence." This is what they are hiding under the policy of compulsory veiling.

< Previous | Next >