1. Yaya Senior Member

    San Diego, CA
    USA, English
    Hi, what are the different ways of saying "undergraduate", as in I would like to enroll in undergraduate classes; and, I'm an undergraduate student.

    Also, how would you say graduate and post-graduate?

  2. lauranazario

    lauranazario Moderatrix

    Puerto Rico
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Hi Yaya,

    "Undergraduate"... it all depends on where you are.
    For example, if you are talking about the US+PR education system, "undergraduate" courses are those conducive to your college/university-level Bachelor's (bachillerato) degree. Attending "Graduate school" is considered working towards your Master's (Maestría) or PhD (Doctorado) degrees.

  3. sergio11 Senior Member

    Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    I have heard "subgrado," "grado" and "posgrado," but subgrado is not in the dictionary of the Real Academia Española. Besides, since the education system is different in Spanish speaking countries, they will not understand what you are talking about.

    Undergraduate studies: "Estudios de subgrado" is a way of saying it, with the caveat explained above (off dictionary word), but I don't know whether it will fly. People will wonder what you are talking about. And since in most countries there is no good equivalent to it, I am not sure of the words to use. Perhaps you should explain it with a short (short?) paragraph.

    Graduate studies: "grado" is not a good word to use here, because people will be bewildered by the word. Although it does means "degree," normally it would be interpreted as "grade." I would say in a more descriptive way, that they are studies for a master degree, that is, "estudios para la licenciatura" --licenciatura is the master degree.

    Postgraduate studies: estudios de posgrado --this one is more straightforward and universally understood.
  4. Maeron Senior Member

    Mexico City
    Canada, English
    In Mexico, "undergraduate" is generally referred to as "en la facultad". People will say "cuando estuve en la facultad..." which means "when I was an undergraduate." Graduate studies are called "posgrado," leading to endless confusion, because that is, of course, not the same as "postgraduate" in English. "Postgraduate" is "posdoctorado."

    "Degree" is título. How to say "graduate" depends on how you mean it. If you are referring in a general way to a person who has a degree (any unspecified degree), it could be "titulado;" or egresado/egresada emphasizing that the person graduated from X University, or licenciado/licenciada; this is a title that a person who has a bachelor's degree is entitled to.
  5. Yaya Senior Member

    San Diego, CA
    USA, English
    thanks for all of the replies. I guess I need to explain a little bit more: I'm trying study abroad in Argentina (at the Universidad de Buenos Aires), and I was asked whether I wanted to do "grado" or "posgrado" and I was confused... assuming "grado" meant graduate.. so I replied "pregrado" and he said that didn't exist.

    So in Argentina, does "grado" mean undergraduate??
  6. funnydeal Senior Member

    Mexico, D.F.
    Mexico / Español
  7. Narda Senior Member

    Weston, Florida
    I have heard:

    Candidato a la licenciatura de .. (under)

    Candidato a la maestría de... (post)
  8. sergio11 Senior Member

    Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    I have been away from Argentina for almost 30 years. I know there have been changes in the school system, but I am not sure of what has happened. In my days, the only undergraduate there was, was high school, which is somewhat like a combination of high school and the basic or junior part of college. The rest of what would be college here is taken as part of the university courses. That is why the duration is longer, six years instead of four.

    Depending on what you want to study, your best bet may be to enrol as a graduate student, because otherwise you will be back in high school.

    As to the meanings of "grado" and "posgrado" are graduate and postgraduate respectively.

    It would be nice if someone who lives there now could give us the scoop of what is the situation in the schools.

    How about Artrella, Rayines, or someone else? Any words of wisdom?
  9. Yaya Senior Member

    San Diego, CA
    USA, English
    thanks again for the replies, it's always so interesting to me how much university/education systems in general can vary (even drastically) across countries.

    I appreciate the help! yaya
  10. Maeron Senior Member

    Mexico City
    Canada, English
    If you go to the university's page of information for foreign students you can click on "estudios de grado" or "estudios de posgrado". If, in turn, you follow the links on these pages and examine some particular programs of study and requisites for admission, it appears that "estudios de grado" are undergraduate programs (i.e. up to and including licenciatura) and "estudios de posgrado" are graduate programs (e.g. maestría and doctorado; programs that require an undergraduate degree as a prerequisite for entrance).
  11. Yaya Senior Member

    San Diego, CA
    USA, English
    great! thanks for the help Maeron! I have been struggling around on that site for awhile looking at information, mainly trying to find out when the dates of the semesters and registration are, but it's good to at least know what I'm looking for-grado.
  12. sergio11 Senior Member

    Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    Maeron, are you sure that the courses in "estudios de grado" match the description of undergraduate programs? For what I could see, they are more at the level of graduate programs, and "estudios de posgrado" are more at the level of postgraduate programs. Take another look and see what you make of it.

    You have to consider that the educational system is different there. They go to high school five or six years, depending on the type of high school, and learn a lot more than what high schoolers in the US learn. They graduate from high school with the degree of "Bachelor". This is similar to the general education requirements of the first two years of college in the US. Then they go to the university, and go through a program of five, six or seven years, depending on the field of study, and get a degree of licenciado, or in the case of medicine they receive their MD equivalent. To me this is equivalent to the master degree in the American system.

    The programs you see in those links as "Maestría" are not the equivalent to our plain "master" degrees. They are rather specialized masters.

    In some fields they have a partial program degree, which they call "Bachiller Universitario," or University Bachelor, to distinguish it from the "high school bachelor." The Bachiller Universitario is much shorter than the full program. This "Bachiller Universitario" could be likened to the US bachelor's degree. However, the "Licenciado" degree is not a "Bachelor," but a master.

    Anyway, take a look and see what you think. I may be wrong. Let me know.
  13. Maeron Senior Member

    Mexico City
    Canada, English
    Looking it over, I think that in spite of differences, the closest (even though not exact) equivalent to a licenciado degree is a North American Bachelor's. I'm not familiar with the "plain" Master's degree you mention. To my knowledge, all graduate (Master's and higher) degrees in North American universities are specialized.
  14. sergio11 Senior Member

    Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    As I had said earlier, "...take a look and see what you think. I may be wrong. Let me know." If that is the way it is, I am evidently wrong and accept it. If I ever find out differently, I will let you know. Thank you.
  15. sergio11 Senior Member

    Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    I have been doing some research, and the issue is far from being solved, because there is a different classification in each country. Even in the same city, two different universities have different classifications for their courses and degrees.
    In Madrid, Spain, The Complutense University calls the MD, dentist, lawyer, pharmacy and veterinarian degrees "licenciado" and classifies them as graduate degrees, and another university (can't remember the name) in the same city of Madrid calls "licenciado" a lower degree similar to the American "bachelor" degree.

    In Bogotá, Colombia, the same MD, dentist, lawyer, pharmacy and veterinarian degrees are classified as "undergraduate" or "pregrado" (university Web site).

    I think you would agree that all these degrees I mentioned --MD, DDS, JD, Pharm. D, DVM-- are graduate degrees in the US, obtained after going through graduate schools; yet in some countries they are called "licenciado." In some English speaking countries they are called "Master" and here in the US they are called "doctor," but they are all the same degree, even if the names are different. Based on this --te equivalence of the MD, DDS, JD, Pharm. D and DVM degrees-- I was maintaining that "licenciado" was equivalent to "master."

    Of course, this does not prove anything and I may still be wrong, but at least you know now why I was saying what I was saying.

    I sent a few emails around to find out what natives in other countries think, and I will let you know if anyone bothers to respond to them.

    I hope you realize, that I am not doing this out of stubbornness, but because of a need to clarify it in my own mind. You may have noticed that I don't have it clear myself. I think it will be helpful for everyone if we can figure this one out.
  16. Yaya Senior Member

    San Diego, CA
    USA, English
    it will definitely be helpful to me!
    thanks for all of the advise and research. I'm still looking around on the site and at the descriptions, but my lack of spanish fluency hinders me a bit. Thanks!
  17. sergio11 Senior Member

    Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    So far, the only answers I got were from a student for a "licenciatura" in philology, who said he did not know, and a university in Madrid, the official spokesperson of which also said he or she did not know and referred me to the Ministry of Education and Science, with a Web consultation link that does not work.

    It seems that, for the time being, we have to just throw the towel the way these people did in England (http://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/ncihe/r11_069.htm), where they arrived at the following conclusions:

    “An important obstacle to the international recognition of qualifications is a lack of information and understanding of other nations’ education systems and qualifications. This, and the variety of national systems of education and training in the European Union, has resulted in a number of unsuccessful attempts to achieve a common terminology and comparability of qualifications.”

    “These comparability exercises were time-consuming and arduous and, by the late 1980s, there was a move away from the notion of comparability to one of mutual recognition.”

    So, in summary, I think each case has to be considered separately, on its own terms. For the case in question, Yaya's plan of studying in Argentina, the best thing she can do is to write to the University of Buenos Aires describing her qualifications and the courses she has taken, and ask them where do they think she should enrol. Then, when she goes there and researches this topic more in depth, she can write to us and enlighten us as well.
  18. Yaya Senior Member

    San Diego, CA
    USA, English
    Thanks for all of your help sergio11! I really appreciate it. I will definitely write a response once I find out. I've been trying to contact them for awhile, but am having limited success. Thanks again, yaya. and by the way, yaya is a guy :) maybe I should have chosen yoyo as my name??
  19. Edwin

    Edwin Senior Member

    Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    Yaya means grandmother in Greek. Also in a discussion of this word sometime ago, I discovered that it also has that meaning in some Spanish speaking countries. Not only that but the fact that it ends in ''a'' definitely makes it sound femine. But there no reason we cannot have exceptions. :)
  20. Jamespoo New Member

    El Salvador, Spanish
    Greetings, my native language is spanish; Bachelor's Degree is "licenciatura" and fall under "carreas de grado" category or its equivalent in english: undergaduate degrees; for example bachelor in business administration is de equivalent of "Licenciado en Administración de empresas". any questions it's ok to ask me; as a matter of fact I was studying the possibility of going to school in Boston or Miami but I finally decided by Buenos Aires and had to go through this same cultural translation challenge so any question - if I can answer it - is welcomed.
  21. Jamespoo New Member

    El Salvador, Spanish
    As a matter of fact my friend I forgot to mention, beware of those "all included" packaged, even if you don't see them as very expensive you could get it ohh so much cheaper and the money you save could be spent on super parties or whatever you're in; anyway if you have the time I recommed making friends first online with locals that speak english for example joining chats and making friends first and then asking question on IM about prices and stuff; but just for reference because more than one will try to take advantage of you (almost almost in that position) though it's much uncomfortable it's much rewarding and adventurous; hope this is helping you at least giving you options.
  22. pijuyo Member

    Central American Spanish
    Alguien sabe cual es la traducción para éste término?

    La frase que debo traducir es: "Course level: Undergraduate..."

    Entiendo que Undergraduate se refiere a un nivel de estudio universitario que precede a las maestrías y a los post grados, tales como licenciaturas, ingenierías, etc.

    Será que puedo traducirlo como: "Pre-Grado?"

    Gracias anticipadas.
  23. chamyto

    chamyto Senior Member

    Burgos, Spain
    ¿ Diplomado tal vez ?
  24. micafe

    micafe Senior Member

    United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Yo diría "estudiante de pregrado".
  25. jackaustralia Senior Member

    Australia English
    Creo que es simplemente "grado." Cuando se termine "undergraduate" se recibe "un bachelor's degree" o un "licenciatura" y tienes toda la razón que después se puede hacer un maestrías y los post grados pero pensaba que antes se hace un licenciatura o un grado (de letras, ciencias o lo que sea)
    Edit: No creo que la traducción es estudiante/student pues se refiere al nivel de curso no al estudiante.
  26. Soleno Member

  27. pijuyo Member

    Central American Spanish

    Eso me parece lo más correcto. Gracias!!!
  28. micafe

    micafe Senior Member

    United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    En realidad, en los Estados Unidos un "undergraduate" es alguien que está estudiando para obtener un "bachelor degree".

    Estas cosas son muy complicadas de traducir. Quizá dependiendo de lo que sea, podrías dejarlo en inglés.

Share This Page