Underhanded gutting bill

asilep

italiano
bill=disegno di legge
underhandend=insensato
gutting= sventramento
L'unica traduzione che riesco a fare è sventramento di un disegno di legge, ma non credo sia quella corretta. Riporto sotto la frase per intero:
My colleagues who support abortion up to birth should look the people of New Hampshire in the eye and be honest about what they’re doing instead of concealing their actions with an underhanded gutting bill

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Starless74

Italiano
    Deduco che chi scrive sia anti-abortista; se è così,
    il senso mi pare essere: «Una legge* pro-sbudellamento mascherata/sottobanco».

*O quel che è: "disegno", "proposta"... etc. Lascio a voi la maggior accuratezza del termine e la traduzione definitiva.

underhanded adj(deceptive, deceitful)subdolo, nascosto agg
    The company was accused of using underhanded business tactics.
    L'azienda è stata accusata di utilizzare tattiche commerciali nascoste.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I've heard a lot of anti-abortion rhetoric over the years, and "gutting" (unlike, say, "murder") isn't a term they tend to use. I'd have to know more about what this bill in New Hampshire is designed to do, but my guess is that "gutting" refers to the action that the bill is going to have on some law or set of laws: the bill will "gut" (make weak and ineffectual) some existing or soon-to-exist restriction on abortion, and will do so, according to the author, "underhandedly."

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Here's some context:

New Hampshire tables changes to 24-week abortion ban, passes other anti-abortion bills

The New Hampshire House sent mixed messages on abortion Wednesday, declining to either narrow or expand the state’s new ban on the procedure after 24 weeks gestation but advancing two other anti-abortion bills.

With the U.S. Supreme Court considering a case that could severely erode abortion rights, state legislatures across the country are taking up measures to further restrict the procedure or ensure access to it. New Hampshire lawmakers are considering at least eight bills on both sides of the issue.
    “There is no way to hold any violator accountable,” she said. “This majority amendment adds on an open-ended exception that makes the law a meaningless joke. … My colleagues who support abortion up to birth should look the people of New Hampshire in the eye and be honest about what they’re doing instead of concealing their actions with an underhanded gutting bill.”

The 24-week abortion ban itself became law after anti-abortion lawmakers inserted it into the state budget last summer rather than present it as a standalone bill, which might have been vetoed by Gov. Chris Sununu, who opposed it.

Last edited:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    That makes sense, then. The "bill" she's talking about is an "amendment" which would work, were it passed, to "make the law [banning abortion after 24 weeks] a meaningless joke." The amendment would thus "gut" the law.