undertake mobility

< Previous | Next >

Harry F

Mandarin
I came across this sentence when researching for law degrees:

Glasgow School of Law has a hugely successful study abroad programme with more than 60% of students undertaking international mobility.

I am not quite sure of what mobility means here. Could anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    From the rest of the sentence it sounds as if it is just rather flowery language to mean that they spend some time studying outside Britain. It is not an expression I would have chosen, and I wonder if the writer has misunderstood what "mobility" actually means.

Packard

USA, English
    From the rest of the sentence it sounds as if it is just rather flowery language to mean that they spend some time studying outside Britain. It is not an expression I would have chosen, and I wonder if the writer has misunderstood what "mobility" actually means.
    It sounds like a better word might have been international "travel".

USMeg

English/USA
    from University of Glasgow - MyGlasgow - Academic Collaborations Office - Types of collaboration - Student Mobility
    Student mobility is any opportunity for students to work or study abroad whilst undertaking their degree programme – whether undergraduate or postgraduate.
    Student Mobility can be both incoming and outgoing in the form of Bilateral Exchange or one-way Study Abroad. The University of Glasgow has Bilateral Exchange Agreements in place for sending its outgoing students to partner institutions in Europe (via Erasmus) and non European countries (International Exchange Programme).

Uncle Jack

British English
    from University of Glasgow - MyGlasgow - Academic Collaborations Office - Types of collaboration - Student Mobility
    Student mobility is any opportunity for students to work or study abroad whilst undertaking their degree programme – whether undergraduate or postgraduate.
    Student Mobility can be both incoming and outgoing in the form of Bilateral Exchange or one-way Study Abroad. The University of Glasgow has Bilateral Exchange Agreements in place for sending its outgoing students to partner institutions in Europe (via Erasmus) and non European countries (International Exchange Programme).
    Ah, it is a specific term they use, then. I wonder if it is used by other educational institutions as well. I notice they don't seen to have decided whether it should be capitalised or not, and, even if "Student Mobility" is a term, I don't think it really bears being manipulated as in the OP's example.

< Previous | Next >