underweight, a healthy weight, overweight or very overweight

• Grop

français
    Hello,

I don't know it that sounds awkward, but to me it certainly suggests all other options are unhealthy. I suspect the opposition between a noun phrase and adjectives are aimed to stress this difference.

Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    ... whether their child is underweight, of normal weight, overweight or very overweight.

What do you think about using "of normal weight"?

shinster

English-Ireland
    No it sounds perfectly fine. The use of 'a healthy weight', as opposed to 'normal' or 'a normal weight', is so the other categories are not classed as abnormal which is may cause offence.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I would not replace healthy with normal in this context.
    It depends on how you define normal, of course, but the average person in the UK and the US is not "a healthy weight". The average school child in the UK is not "a healthy weight". Have you ever seen the little blobs line up at the swimming pool :eek:

jforres1

Canada/ English
    Healthy weight works better because it allowes the specific characteristics of the child (age,heredity, height, gender etc) to determine what is considered healthy. To me, normal implies that there is one ideal weight for everyone.

Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    Thank you, everyone.

Which is the best?
    (1) ... whether their child is underweight, of healthy weight, overweight or very overweight.
    (2) ... whether their child is of healthy weight, underweight, overweight or very overweight.
    (3) ... whether their child is underweight, overweight, very overweight or of healthy weight.

jforres1

Canada/ English
    When you offer a list of choices, they usually follow a logical sequence. So it should go from least (underweight) to highest (very over-weight). I would make healthy weight the middle option.

< Previous | Next >