'underwent' more recent interventions [vs 'were subject to']

brainstorming

Portugal, Portuguese
Hi everyone,

Is it correct to use in English the verb "underwent" in the following context? Is it more correct to use "were subject to"?

in the regions of scarce Portuguese presence or precociously abandoned (like Ethiopia, Mombasa, Goreia, Mina, and several areas of the Gulf of Guinea), the current remains are punctual remnants, often ruins. These ruins, which generally underwent more recent influences and interventions, combine Portuguese elements with those of other cultures.

Thanks in advance

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hello brainstorming

These ruins, which generally underwent more recent influences and interventions, combine Portuguese elements with those of other cultures.
    I might advise 'were subjected to' but I am struggling to understand the sentence.
    I suspect the tense is wrong: past perfect "had been subjected to" or 'had undergone', 'recent' should be 'later' or 'subsequent', and I don't know what an 'intervention' is when talking about buildings or ruins.

I also don't know what a 'punctual remnant' might be.

Hermione

MilkyBarKid

British English
    in the regions of scarce sparse Portuguese presence or those precociously*** abandoned (like such as Ethiopia, Mombasa, Goreia, Mina, and several areas of the Gulf of Guinea), the current present remains are punctual remnants, often mere ruins.

These ruins, which generally underwent more recent influences and interventions, combine Portuguese elements with those of other cultures.

If they are ruins (= the remains of buildings, typically old, that have suffered much damage or disintegration) they would need a lot more than 'influences' and 'interventions' before they will 'show elements of other cultures' on the rubble that remains!

Packard

USA, English
    Underwent suggests to me a voluntary situation, whereas subjected to suggests to me an involuntary situation. I don't think they are interchangeable phrases.

Piers

Am. English
    I see what you mean, Packard.
    I think you and Hermione are right in that "These ruins, which were subjected to more recent influences ..." is better.

I underwent plastic surgery to improve my looks.
    I was subjected to surgery by aliens when I was abducted in a UFO.

Packard

USA, English
    I see what you mean, Packard.
    I think you and Hermione are right in that "These ruins, which were subjected to more recent influences ..." is better.

I underwent plastic surgery to improve my looks.
    I was subjected to surgery by aliens when I was abducted in a UFO.
    Sorry about your abduction...;)

Yes, that is my point exactly.

< Previous | Next >