une boisson avec ou sans gaz

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Hese, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. Hese Senior Member

    Hello there,

    I've been wondering for quite some time how to translate "une boisson avec ou sans gaz"

    Of course I know of "sparkling/fizzy water" and "still water", but is it possible to say "water with or without fizz"? Does that sound weird to you? Can I say "this drink has lost its fizz"?

    Thanks a lot
  2. bobepine

    bobepine Senior Member

    Canada, English & French
    I would tend to say sparkling or still water, and that this drink has gone flat. I can't think of an instance where I would refer to a drink's fizz...
  3. Hese Senior Member

    isn't there a noun to describe the bubbles then? like the word "gaz" in French?
  4. snarkhunter

    snarkhunter Senior Member

    France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    The bubbles themselves are only referred to as "bulles" in French. However, if you mean the drink's properties, there are some adjectives, like "gazeux/gazeuse" or "gazéifié(e)". The latter no longer being much used these days...

    You may possibly be asked "avec ou sans bulles ?" whenever ordering a drink.
  5. Hese Senior Member

    I hear the word "gaz" all the time and my French fellow students always use "gas" in English when they talk about mineral water. I checked the dictionary because I suspected the word to be French only and came across "fizz" - that's why I'm asking the question in this forum
  6. wildan1

    wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

    In AE we call it carbonation.

    a carbonated vs. non-carbonated beverage/drink

    carbonated water (if it is added artificially--we call it soda water) or sparkling mineral water (like "Perrier")

    These are standard, official terms

    PS: AE speakers use "gas" to refer to gas(oline), which goes in your car's engine or (natural) gas that might light your stove burners or water heater--two different meanings, same word. But we don't normally use it to refer to water.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. Hese Senior Member

    is carbonation used in British English, too?

    In the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary I found "bubbles of gas in drinks" maybe that's British English?

    So now we have three words
    - fizz -but nobody seems to like it except my dictionary
    - carbonation - and that seems to be American only
    - gas - only my OALD seems to use it and that dictionary dates back to the seventies, maybe not the best reference ever ;-)
  8. DeShark New Member

    British English
    I'd certainly say "lost its fizz" and I think all of my friends would understand what you mean, but maybe it's a bit made up and not standard usage. My dictionary says that fizz describes just the sound though. "bubbles of gas in drinks" is insanely long winded in my opinion, but it describes what's going on. I've also heard "carbonated water", but mainly as an ingredient in drinks like coca cola. You might also hear it in a restaurant ("would you like carbonated or uncarbonated water"), but it has a higher register, so I wouldn't use it when talking with my friends. You might also hear "sparkling or still water?" in a restaurant, or even "fizzy or still?" as its usage isn't overly familiar either.

    I'm British English by the way.
  9. wildan1

    wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

    Asking for "gas" could be confusing to an AE-speaker. (You usually have to order beans to get that! :D )
  10. pmqs

    pmqs Senior Member

    Portsmouth, England
    English - South
    I would say fizz is perfectly acceptable. There's no fizz in this lemonade!

Share This Page